• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emotional Support Animal in College Dorm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

meguin

What is the name of your state? - Wisconsin
I'm in a college dorm and I am getting an ESA to help with my mental disability. I've sent in the proper paperwork to my university housing, and they have sent it off to my school's disability center. I've been waiting for a week for an approval without many answers, and my mental disability has been making things more difficult throughout the school week (on the weekends I visit my ESA at home). Could my dorm deny me bringing my ESA into my room while I'm waiting for my approval? I had sent them a letter from my doctor prescribing me my ESA.

commentator

The agency that places the ESA should have some resources to help you deal with the questions here. The school's disability center should also be a really good source of information. By the way, what sort of animal is your ESA? Do you have a roommate? Is this a state school? In answer to your question, yes, they can certainly disallow you bringing the animal on campus BEFORE you have gone through the process and received approval. It sounds like you are getting impatient. One of the purposes of a college education is to learn how to pass through all the legal codes and requirements necessary to achieve your goal (such as get enough credits together in the proper order to graduate, how to deal with the necessary bureaucracy of an educational institution. If you just go "I can't WAIT!" and bring in your animal in without permission, they're not going to be sympathetic because you did not follow the approved process to bring this about.

meguin

I am in a state school, and I had just wanted clarification because the sources my school provides are very vague. I'm sorry if I seem impatient, but I just wanted answers as I'm waiting through this process. On my school's website regarding ESAs, it states that the university "recommends that requests for assistance animals in University Housing be submitted at least 60 days prior to the desired move in date," which made me question whether the 60 days was a rule or just them asking for that. I've discussed with my roommates and RA, and they all approve and are even excited for my ESA. This is why I'm asking before just going through and bringing my ESA into the dorm. I've followed the process according to the information I was given, and they give me very little information on how long the process should take or what to expect. Any emails I ask about how long it may take are just responded with an "I don't know." I just want to be informed on the process and when I should be expecting an answer.

bcr229

The university's documentation states 60 days and it's only been a week. In my experience there isn't a lot you can do to get government or school administrators to work any faster.

If I had to guess based on the info in the link I posted, as part of the process the other students in your dorm are going to be asked if they have any health problems, such as allergies, if the animal you requested lives in the building. If that's the case then the university may need to move residents around for their own sake before you can bring in the animal.

LdiJ

And the OP may well be one of the moved students.
His room mates appear to be excited about having the animal there, so at least they are not likely to be allergic. The fact that the OP has more than one room mate also tends to indicate a suite arrangement rather than simple rooms on a hall. I would be interested to know what kind of animal we are talking about.

PayrollHRGuy

His room mates appear to be excited about having the animal there, so at least they are not likely to be allergic. The fact that the OP has more than one room mate also tends to indicate a suite arrangement rather than simple rooms on a hall. I would be interested to know what kind of animal we are talking about.
I'd be willing to bet the OP has neighbors as well that may have allergy problems.

LdiJ

I'd be willing to bet the OP has neighbors as well that may have allergy problems.
It depends. If its a suite arrangement and the animal would never leave the suite, then the animal would not have any effect on any neighbors. If its a dog that would go in and out over shared hallways, then that might be another story.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Don't be too sure. My last two years of college I was in a suite but there were three singles on the same floor.

quincy

I don’t think “mental disabilities” and the need for emotional support animals are confined to living quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">