• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial Parent unemployed deliberately

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commentator

"I suspect there is a great variety in what is available by region, practice and specific training. I have seen many clinical MAs who are required to aid with patient transfer. And that can be back-breaking."

Very much agree with the comments above. In most situations, this training and these types of jobs can be good and can be very rewarding. I am thinking very much of most nursing type positions, which are different in different parts of the country. Here in my 3rd world southeastern state (no Medicare expansion on the horizon, horrible new ideas about testing block grants to the state for Medicaid coming up) the care facilities keep demanding more warm bodies ( and requiring less and less qualifications) to work to death.

I understand that there is a whole lot of difference in the treatment and pay of employees in health care between Georgia, where this woman is, and say, Massachusetts. If it were possible to relocate someone with her types of experience and training, even with her back issues, which may or may not be serious enough to portend SSDI in her future, she could probably get a much better job. Unfortunately, people tend to get stuck where they are, and it is very hard to get people to load up and relocate for the job opportunities in an unfamiliar place without their support network. So most job seekers are limited by what's around them, in their immediate area.

It is interesting to me that it is reported way back at the beginning of this thread that the doctor's office where this ex used to work has extended her an open ended "come right on back anytime" job opening offer. I really have almost never heard of anything like this, even with the best of employers when one has left under the best of circumstances. If this were true and the woman is truly physically able to work, this would sure cause her lots of problems with receiving any kind of public assistance.

And I can certainly see how, in many parts of Georgia, with a back injury, and subsidized retraining in a field that quite frankly we did not when I was working for the Dept. of Labor find particularly easy to place people in, this middle aged woman would not be terribly heavily recruited. And if she's on social programs, though she might be obligated to do a whole lot of job searching she might not come up with anything. We really do not know if she has lasting problems/restrictions with her back.

So many times the parent who's doing child support has a real bitterness pertaining to the level of dedicated job search that is been done by the other parent. But when it comes down to it, there's really not much the court is likely to do in terms of commanding this person to find a job and relieve him of some of his child support obligation. As I've said before, I've seen these folks sent to workforce offices and threatened with jail time by the court, and this is just not sounding like one of the most blatant and obvious cases of refusal to get another job (voluntarily unemployed or voluntarily underemployed) that I've ever heard of.

It comes off sounding more like an ex chewing on a grievance when he doesn't really have a lot of the facts. I think the courts would not like his approach unless, as if I said, the ex wife comes out and really misbehaves, thus demonstrating she's the bigger problem in this case.

Last edited:

Bookert13

If you are not seeing your children that is on you as much as it is on mom. You can enforce your court ordered visitation rights.
As much as I take offense to that statement, I will try not to because you really don’t know what hell I have been through over so many years. She messed with my children’s minds and used them as pawns, and made them suffer for any affection shown to me. Judges never reprimanded her because she was mother Theresa in their eyes. My own family who lives closer to her was afraid to go against her so they didn’t lose access to the kids only to have lost that access once my ex wife didn’t need their support anymore. It was a nightmare and I just had to back off A little for my sanity and my children’s peace. I turned it over to God and pray that these children will come to me one day and look for answers because I have a stack of court paperwork to share.

LdiJ

As much as I take offense to that statement, I will try not to because you really don’t know what hell I have been through over so many years. She messed with my children’s minds and used them as pawns, and made them suffer for any affection shown to me. Judges never reprimanded her because she was mother Theresa in their eyes. My own family who lives closer to her was afraid to go against her so they didn’t lose access to the kids only to have lost that access once my ex wife didn’t need their support anymore. It was a nightmare and I just had to back off A little for my sanity and my children’s peace. I turned it over to God and pray that these children will come to me one day and look for answers because I have a stack of court paperwork to share.
Its almost always a bad idea to do the bolded. It will generally come back to bite you in the behind.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I won't re-post/bold what LDi did. But I will comment. As many have seen me post before, my ex said he would do the same - show the kids "the truth"... Unfortunately, over time, they got to see "the truth" all on their own, and formed their own conclusions. (and no, @Bookert13 , I did not keep my kids from their Dad - I actually bent over every which way to facilitate the relationship. But crying victim (in his case) was easier.)

Thing is, these sorts of behaviors can be difficult to fight w/o either a lot of firsthand research/work or an attorney. There is a men's board which provides a lot of strategies for Dads who deal with difficult exes and how to get to see their kids more. (Msg me and I can tell you where to go.) But be aware - they can be harsh in their own right (but not unreasonably so).

Bookert13

Thank you for being one of those moms who don’t keep their children away from their dads. I used to feel the need to defend myself in full detail of how tables were turned on me, but I reached a point where I got tired and even if the blame always ends up on me for “not fighting hard enough” “ball is in my court” “do whatever it takes” I know in my heart that I did what I could without throwing my
Own life away. I had to stop before it disrupted my own job, my own sanity. I did join these supports sites, and I found fellow dad victims who are also at the mercy of the hate of their exes. Some who even took their own life— this is what scared me to take care of myself first. The children were taken care of health wise and needs. I guess the only time the dad has an easy fight is when mom has a drug addiction of some sort, otherwise spiteful moms are very powerful in the court system-

I really don’t know what the future holds, and the plan to show the paper trail has been my default plan for the past 7yrs, but things change and it just involves a lot of waiting and praying. 17yo son tried to add me on Snapchat and I was so excited at the exchange, but as soon as mom got wind of it, it was cut off!!! I send my cards and gift checks, and I can only pray they get it.

Maybe this will explain why I am concerned about her employment status being withheld from me, everything with her has always been conniving and strategic. But if I have the be a victim until then end, I do know children are well take care of and that’s a consolation I can live with.

LdiJ

Thank you for being one of those moms who don’t keep their children away from their dads. I used to feel the need to defend myself in full detail of how tables were turned on me, but I reached a point where I got tired and even if the blame always ends up on me for “not fighting hard enough” “ball is in my court” “do whatever it takes” I know in my heart that I did what I could without throwing my
Own life away. I had to stop before it disrupted my own job, my own sanity. I did join these supports sites, and I found fellow dad victims who are also at the mercy of the hate of their exes. Some who even took their own life— this is what scared me to take care of myself first. The children were taken care of health wise and needs. I guess the only time the dad has an easy fight is when mom has a drug addiction of some sort, otherwise spiteful moms are very powerful in the court system-

I really don’t know what the future holds, and the plan to show the paper trail has been my default plan for the past 7yrs, but things change and it just involves a lot of waiting and praying. 17yo son tried to add me on Snapchat and I was so excited at the exchange, but as soon as mom got wind of it, it was cut off!!! I send my cards and gift checks, and I can only pray they get it.

Maybe this will explain why I am concerned about her employment status being withheld from me, everything with her has always been conniving and strategic. But if I have the be a victim until then end, I do know children are well take care of and that’s a consolation I can live with.
Believe it or not dad, the vast majority of divorced or never married parents get along well enough to promote the best interest of their children. It may not seem like it from forums like these, but those who get along generally don't end up on forums like these. They don't need them.

Reactions: cbg

Bookert13

I am aware of great coparenting as my wife and her ex husband and his wife and I all get along great. We cruise together with ALL the kids between both couples. I’m not the difficult one with issues here, and the only ones suffering are my children who are not apart of this big combined family we have.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I refrained from saying this before, but... in for a penny. What your children will see? Is that their father was more interested in himself than them. You don't have to like it, but it is most likely reality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">