• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment Excessive Noise/ Threats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VeteranSTAND702

Disabled Veteran In Las Vegas

I recently became divorced last year and used my section 8 to move to a veteran community in a corner on the top floor. A few months back I accidently got on the wrong floor below me and went to what I thought was my door. The tenant there opened the door as I tried the handle and aggressively rushed me. I took a step back and quickly realized he innocent mistake of being on the wrong floor. At that point I told him my mistake and introduced myself as his neighbor directly above him in which he called me the N word and slammed his door in my face.

Ever since that occurrence this guy has complained about me making excessive noise almost daily. I have had 3 notices served to me for excessive noise for walking on my floor in the middle of the night (I have worked graveyard jobs) and even my computer chair rolling across the floor a matter of 1 to 2 feet. The floors have a thin paper sized carpet over them, and you can hear any movement as well as feel vibrations from across the floor. If someone walks down the hallway, I can feel them coming. I have even been told that the leasing agent has had the guy come in and complain about me vacuuming at 7pm at night. I tiptoe around frightened that I am going to get kicked out since my final notice. I have tried to remedy the situation by adding two area rugs over my office desk and bed walkway. I have had complaints even that my children of 7 and 9 that visit on the weekend are running around at 2am. They were not even here. The guy has even had his neighbor complain about my loud walking which I do not see how that is even technically possible.

Recently I was aggressively yelled at in public by the maintenance man that I better get it right, I am not allowed to go in and out of my home. I better figure it out really quick and he is tired of getting phone calls "EVERY" morning from the guy below me. This guy has even caused me to take my children down the 3 flights of stairs because he was in the elevator giving us dirty looks. This guy is going out of his way to retaliate against me and now I am starting to worry about my safety after this incident. I really am outraged at the behavior and aggressive belittling that publically happened by the maintenance guy. Another neighbor was kicked out and the night he was moving out, I was personally accused of moving furniture throughout the night and told by management that I am not the kind of resident desired here. They call it a safe place for vets though. She even said right before my formal final complaint letter received one week before they came threatening me that he was in the office complaining 4 times before that. I have said my willingness to change rooms (I really like my corner apartment... or I use to. Now I dread even being here) and was told even if that was possible, they would just get new complaints from my new would-be neighbors below me. I am afraid that I am going to get evicted by this Good ole'-boy system here and worse yet lose my housing benefits.

At one point the leasing agent told me that my complaints about no adequate padding existed under the carpet was viable and they would have the maintenance guy get with me. This is the same maintenance guy who I have asked over the last several months to fix, look at, and replace my fridge which steady leaks water everywhere. I do not even own a tv or radio. WHAT DO I DO? I do have a draft email of when the first incident occurred that I was going to send in before talking to the former leasing agent about it. When my lease is up I cannot wait to leave from here , but what can I do to survive. I have done everything even attempt to talk to this guy in which he looks as if I don't even exist. I have maintained my composure thus far.

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I'm assuming Nevada ;)

(OP is in Las Vegas)
He edited after quincy posted.

I recall reading this thread yesterday, and I could have sworn that there were more responses.

In any case, it seems that nothing can be done about the bad neighbor, except move. The bad neighbor will probably continue to complain about the noise that OP is making even after he moves.

quincy

He edited after quincy posted.

I recall reading this thread yesterday, and I could have sworn that there were more responses.

In any case, it seems that nothing can be done about the bad neighbor, except move. The bad neighbor will probably continue to complain about the noise that OP is making even after he moves.
I agree that there seems to be little to do but wait until the lease expires and then find a friendlier place to live. Perhaps next time a first floor apartment would be good?

I see no legal recourse in what has been described.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Interesting - on the other forum, I can no longer find the posts. Maybe I'm confused...maybe the OP posted here and deleted, or maybe he posted there and deleted....

NoKids4Me

Not legal advice by any means, but is there a chance that you could spend a weekend out of town (witnessed) and see if the guy complains when you're not even home? That might be useful in proving that the problem is his, and not yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">