• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! 14Y/O WRECKED MY CAR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

When my daughter was about 15, her boyfriend and his best friend took his mother's car for a joyride. I don't remember where she was, but she was not home. She might have been shopping with her sister. Anyway, it was the best friend who was driving and they got in an accident.

What was interesting about this case, is that her insurance company did cover the accident, but only because it wasn't her son that was driving. They told her that if her son had been driving, they would not have covered it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What if you were out with a friend and the friend drove? Or, in this case, it was a brand new car that wasn't insured yet and mom was perhaps driving the old one?
LOL I usually drove, but in the event a friend did? I drive a stick. None (edited so as not to imply my kids had only two friends...) of my kids' friends could, nor could my kids until I taught them - at the appropriate ages. One reason I drive a stick, and why my kids drive standards - not many others are able to. ;) Besides the cool factor. And it being more fun.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My wife says she can't drive a stick - but she rides (rather, rode) motorcycles with no problem. She says it's different lol

stayn100

No one has been in trouble. And they are 14 how much supervision is needed. My keys were on the kitchen table. Like i said they are old enough to know right and wrong. Are you saying i was not being responsible because i should have been aware of the fact that they MAY steal my car. They are old enough to know better. They do not steal out of the store. I understand that legally I would be responsible because she is a minor. But not because I am a bad parent because of lack of supervision. And as far as there being criminal charges the friend received four citations with no court date. (per her family ) The citation is a promise to appear right? What her family is saying just does not add up. I am

Zigner

No one has been in trouble. And they are 14 how much supervision is needed. My keys were on the kitchen table. Like i said they are old enough to know right and wrong. Are you saying i was not being responsible because i should have been aware of the fact that they MAY steal my car. They are old enough to know better. They do not steal out of the store. I understand that legally I would be responsible because she is a minor. But not because I am a bad parent because of lack of supervision. And as far as there being criminal charges the friend received four citations with no court date. (per her family ) The citation is a promise to appear right? What her family is saying just does not add up. I am
We do not know your child, so we can't comment as to whether or not you should have known of the possibility. Every child is different.
It's entirely possible that a court date hasn't been assigned yet.

quincy

Most fourteen year olds do not need a lot of supervision but the parents of your daughter’s friend will want to divert as much blame away from their daughter to you and your daughter. They will be concentrating on what is best for them.

For this reason - and others - it is probably best that you and your daughter strictly limit all conversations you have with the other family.

You need to have an attorney.

stayn100

Come on these kids are 14. My keys were on the table like they any other time. i have five other children and they never took my keys. They are old enough to know that what they did was wrong. They knew it was wrong when they did it. If i had any idea that they would have taken my keys i would have made sure i guarded them with my life. like i said i know i am responsible. The kids were skate boarding waiting on my other daughter to come and pick them up. So when the door opened they said goodbye and i did not think nothing of it. based on the info that i received from the family i do not think that they are being straight forward. I understand that my daughter should be charged which i have already said. i wanted to know if i could sue them. And like i said i had not had a chance to register the vehicle. I am not even sure how anyone would contact me. That is why i contacted the friend, looking for info on who to contact. But the family said that no news is good news. It does not seem right. Turn a blind eye? NO that is why i came here. But still no answers just opinions. So it looks like i need to contact an attorney. Thank you to all that actually gave an educated answer or even guess. I appreciate your time.

Zigner

Come on these kids are 14. My keys were on the table like they any other time. i have five other children and they never took my keys. They are old enough to know that what they did was wrong. They knew it was wrong when they did it. If i had any idea that they would have taken my keys i would have made sure i guarded them with my life. like i said i know i am responsible. The kids were skate boarding waiting on my other daughter to come and pick them up. So when the door opened they said goodbye and i did not think nothing of it. based on the info that i received from the family i do not think that they are being straight forward. I understand that my daughter should be charged which i have already said. i wanted to know if i could sue them. And like i said i had not had a chance to register the vehicle. I am not even sure how anyone would contact me. That is why i contacted the friend, looking for info on who to contact. But the family said that no news is good news. It does not seem right. Turn a blind eye? NO that is why i came here. But still no answers just opinions. So it looks like i need to contact an attorney. Thank you to all that actually gave an educated answer or even guess. I appreciate your time.
Honestly, it sounds as if your daughter was totally complicit in the theft. Since they could be be held liable jointly and severally, then yeah, you could probably sue. The parents can be held financially responsible to a point (I believe $10k, but I don't have a cite for that), so it might be worth it to sue. It is a complex matter, however, so you are wise to consult with an attorney.

quincy

Here is the Nevada parental responsibility law that can cause you problems (among the other problems you and the children face). The law includes Zigner’s $10,000 figure for limit of liability.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-041.html#NRS041Sec470

The ages of the children will be taken into account. At age 14, not only should they not require as much supervision as younger children, they should know right from wrong.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
As stated above, we don't know your child or her friend. Neither does the court. Some kids do fine w/little supervision from a young age, while some children can't be left unsupervised until they "age out" (i.e. turn 18). The court figures that, if a minor gets themself into trouble while unsupervised - they're too young to be unsupervised. Seems as though the 14yo is too young for it. (and it often has little to do with being a "good" or "bad" parent.... My older was a dreamer, while the younger was very down-to-earth & pragmatic - which do you think I left "in charge"?)

I hope your daughter understands that there will be serious consequences for her behavior and that she will be paying back whatever this costs you...

CdwJava

If the other child received cites for 4 violations, then chances are she is not being charged with auto theft (since you never reported it stolen). Likely, the offenses are for everything from underage driving to reckless driving and related offenses.

Now, I wouldn't presume that leaving the keys out counts as some form of negligence or reckless act by a parent. I don't know many people that secure their keys when they are home. Now, if the child or their friends had a history of joyriding, that might be another matter. But, predicting out of the blue that a 14 year old child might suddenly collect the keys and run is a bit of a leap.

If you had no insurance, you could be in big financial trouble. You may want to start consulting attorneys ASAP.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And, as I have mentioned in other threads, in my state it is mandatory. You cannot drive the car off the lot without proof of insurance.
In NJ, too. But apparently not NV (I looked it up) - which boggles my mind. Not the looking it up part...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">