• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not able to see my disabled cousin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ermarsot77

New Mexico
My cousin was checked into a mentally disabled facility many years ago by my father, her uncle, FM, after her parents passed away.Unfortunately, due to work and life I had to move, and it became very hard for me to visit her. My father, FM goes to El Paso- Las Cruces often but unfortunately, he hasn’t been able to see her because My cousin case worker/guardian prohibited him and her brother the visits without any explanation.
I tried to reach out a couple of times I even emailedXXX Director and I never received any answer. We are worried about her and all we want is to see her. How I can find out if my cousin case worker has legal guardianship? What does this means for us? I am very worry since we dont know if she is alive? How I can proceed?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
New Mexico
My cousin was checked in xxx a mentally disabled facility many years ago by my father, her uncle, after her parents passed away.Unfortunately, due to work and life I had to move, and it became very hard for me to visit her. My father goes to El Paso- Las Cruces often but unfortunately, he hasn’t been able to see her because My cousin case worker/guardian prohibited him and her brother the visits without any explanation.
I tried to reach out a couple of times I even emailed the Director and I never received any answer. We are worried about her and all we want is to see her. How I can find out if my cousin case worker has legal guardianship? What does this means for us? I am very worry since we dont know if she is alive? How I can proceed?
I have reported your post due to the names given, but I can tell you that you have no inherent right to visit with, see, or even obtain information about your cousin.

LdiJ

I have reported your post due to the names given, but I can tell you that you have no inherent right to visit with, see, or even obtain information about your cousin.
I agree, but the situation certainly seems unusual. I would want to know how it was that the OP's father could commit the cousin to a mental health facility without having guardianship...and how it is that he does not have guardianship now.

Ermarsot77

Thanks for your answer, is any public record where I can find who is her legal guardian is?

Last edited:

Pinkie39

I would think the probate court in the county where the cousin resides or was residing at the time she was placed in the facility would have records of any guardianship filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">