• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners policy cancelled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sully1041

What is the name of your state? Florida, I received a letter from ins.co. starting I needed to replace my roof by 6/1/2020 or my policy will be cancelled? Also supply them with documentation of wind mitigation etc which they have from my home inspection. No claims ever, no issues with my roof? What can I dom. I am disabled and do not have the money to replace a perfectly good roof?

FlyingRon

How old is the roof and what material? Just because it's not leaking now doesn't make it "perfectly good."

quincy

What is the name of your state? Florida, I received a letter from ins.co. starting I needed to replace my roof by 6/1/2020 or my policy will be cancelled? Also supply them with documentation of wind mitigation etc which they have from my home inspection. No claims ever, no issues with my roof? What can I dom. I am disabled and do not have the money to replace a perfectly good roof?
We had to remove large tree branches that were overhanging our roof before our insurer would renew our policy.

The insurance company inspects property to assess risks. Your insurer apparently sees your old roof as a risk they do not want to take.

adjusterjack

Florida, I received a letter from ins.co. starting I needed to replace my roof by 6/1/2020 or my policy will be cancelled?
No surprise. Florida is the windstorm capital of the US.

no issues with my roof? What can I do. I am disabled and do not have the money to replace a perfectly good roof?
Your roof may look perfectly good to the untrained eye but if it's more than 15 or 20 years old it's vulnerable to the next big windstorm.

Call the person who wrote that letter and ask them to send out somebody who can show you what the problems are.

quincy

I know some insurance companies will add an exclusion to a policy rather than cancel the entire homeowner’s policy. I don’t know if they would do that for a roof, however.

adjusterjack

Florida insurance statutes require that residential insurance policies include wind damage coverage but allows cancellation or high deductibles. Home and business owners whose property does not meet insurance company standards may obtain coverage through Florida's Citizen's Property Insurance Corporation, a non-profit company created by the state of Florida as the wind coverage of last resort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">