• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does the fact that my lease states that part of the deposit is nonrefundable mean that I the contract is null and void?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamesnobles

Santa Clara County, CA

I want out of my unit for a number of reasons. It is a in-law unit but I do not think that matters. The contract states that 200 of 900 is non refundable for no reason. I would like to leave the unit early and break my lease. Would this argument against hold up in small claims court?

reenzz

No. If its illegal in your state to have a non refundable deposit, then only that part of the lease would be unenforceable. The the rest of the lease would be completely enforceable.

jamesnobles

No. If its illegal in your state to have a non refundable deposit, then only that part of the lease would be unenforceable. The the rest of the lease would be completely enforceable.
That is unfortunate. Can you cite a statute which explains this?

jamesnobles

Define these reasons please.
I entered into this lease impulsively and the expense is too much to handle. The walls are to thin and I can hear conversations and dogs barking. I would not request to leave based on the aforementioned reasons but discovering the deposit issue in the contract might give me a way out.

Just Blue

I entered into this lease impulsively and the expense is too much to handle. The walls are to thin and I can hear conversations and dogs barking. I would not request to leave based on the aforementioned reasons but discovering the deposit issue in the contract might give me a way out.
Buyers remorse is not a valid reason to breach your contract. Hearing your neighbors and dogs barking is a part of living within 800 feet of others. Next time rent a cabin in the forest...but be aware that you will hear birds and coyote's.

xylene

Talk with your landlord about your financial concerns. This is a very common situation, especially right now. Your landlord might work with you to a better mutual resolution than a breech.

FlyingRon

Actually, collecting "non-refundable deposits" or putting such in the lease terms isn't specifically illegal, it's just illegal NOT to refund them on moveout (other than to apply to the specific damages/deficiencies in the statute).

The initial premise is WRONG out of the gate.

quincy

How was the deposit collected - as just a security deposit, or as a $700 security deposit and a $200 application fee?

Applications often have associated costs (e.g., background checks). These application fees would not be refundable. Nor would pet deposits be refundable.

jamesnobles

Actually, collecting "non-refundable deposits" or putting such in the lease terms isn't specifically illegal, it's just illegal NOT to refund them on moveout (other than to apply to the specific damages/deficiencies in the statute).

The initial premise is WRONG out of the gate.
That is a good point but what if it specifies nonrefundable such as when the assumption is before the tenent even moves in that it is non refundable.

jamesnobles

How was the deposit collected - as just a security deposit, or as a $700 security deposit and a $200 application fee?

Applications often have associated costs (e.g., background checks). These application fees would not be refundable. Nor would pet deposits be refundable.
It states that $900 is a cleaning / security deposit and $700 is refundable if the tenent leaves the unit reasonably clean and undamaged. No mention is made of what that $ 200 is for aside from a verbal mention by the landlord that it goes towards a "deep cleaning".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

The portion I have underlined is not correct in California. Furthermore, a $200 "application fee" is beyond the maximum allowed in California.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">