• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voiding Rental Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KC Walker

My husband and I cosigned a rental agreement with our daughter and husband in July 2019. In January 2020, daughter and husband entered a lease purchase with this same landlord, without my husband or me as cosigner. Doesn't the new lease purchase agreement cancel out the old rental agreement? The land lord is trying to hold my husband and me liable since we were on the original rental contract. She is continuing to contact me about issues with the house. (termite bond, etc.)

Just Blue

My husband and I cosigned a rental agreement with our daughter and husband in July 2019. In January 2020, daughter and husband entered a lease purchase with this same landlord, without my husband or me as cosigner. Doesn't the new lease purchase agreement cancel out the old rental agreement? The land lord is trying to hold my husband and me liable since we were on the original rental contract. She is continuing to contact me about issues with the house. (termite bond, etc.)
What state?

adjusterjack

Doesn't the new lease purchase agreement cancel out the old rental agreement?
You're going to have to carefully read both documents to find that out. if the original lease was 12 months then it might still be in effect unless the new agreement specifically cancels it.

FarmerJ

Have you seen a copy of the new lease your adult daughter and her husband signed ? if they have a copy of it can they give you a copy for your records ? Reason being is that once you have a copy of that new lease I suggest you can re read the old one it and look for any wording that allowed the landlord to make any changes to the lease at all and if changes of any kind by the landlord are not permitted I think it would be fair of you to argue to the landlord that entering a new lease with ( your daughter + her husband ) has broken the lease with you and they have lost the ability to hold you to the previous lease when they entered that new lease.

zddoodah

Landlord wants my husband and me to be liable for setting up inspection dates with Termite bond, and damages that may incur to the home.
"Liable for setting up inspection dates" or liable for paying for the inspections? Your liability for damages depends on the terms of the lease you signed and how the damages were caused.

quincy

A new agreement where the terms and conditions have changed would require new signatures of all parties to the agreement.

You cannot be held to the terms of an agreement you never agreed to (unless there was a very unusual clause in the original lease that would allow for that).

A rental agreement (lease) is generally vastly different from a purchase agreement.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

If it was me and this landlord accepted rent payments from the adult daughter and the husband since the new lease was signed I would argue even harder that the first lease no longer mattered since the LL has been paid x times since the new lease was signed. After this many months where daughter and hubby have been paying the rent I suspect a judge would be less likely to enforce the first lease , OP I suggest you use the links above and arrange for a consult with a attorney. SO this way if you had to then you could have the attorney draw up a letter to the LL addressing this matter for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">