• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord told us he would lease our college apartment to us over the summer then leased it to someone else and wants us out ASAP.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clayplay123

Hi, so I am currently a college student in PA. me and my buddies rented out an apartment for a full school year term (2 semesters). When we signed the lease and our parents met with the landlord he told us the place was ours for the summer for 300 dollars and we told him that sounded great. fast forward to now he recently contacted us and told us we need to be out by Saturday May 2nd as he has leased it to someone else over the summer. We were expecting our new lease for the summer at the end of this week as that is what he said he would do when we signed our first lease. I reached out to my new landlord for the next college term since we are renting a new place and asked when we could move in and explained our situation. He told us we could move in May 8th. The problem is that our current landlord wants us out by Saturday May 2nd. I asked my current landlord if we could stay at least till May 8th so we can move in to our new place and move our stuff into there but he said absolutely not. He also said if we are still there on Saturday May 2nd that he would contact the police for trespassing and I quote "throw our shit out onto the curb". What are my options here? I have read online that after the lease is over he can file an eviction notice and we have 15 days to leave after that. That would be fine cause we would be able to move into our new place in that 15 day period. I just wanted to double check on here. Thank you guys very much!

Note: I currently have an internship up at school so going to stay with my parents for the 6 days is not an option.
Edit: Original Lease ends this Saturday as well

Gail in Georgia

Your current lease is over on Saturday May 2nd? If so and you remain in the rental property your landlord can begin the process of evicting you as you have already been given notice your lease is not going to be renewed.

While evictions in many states are currently "on hold" because courts are currently not in session, you don't get 15 days of "free living" after this is done. Once the filing has been done the process of such will remain on your record until you go to court and a judge decides for some reason NOT to grant this eviction.

In other words, remaining in the rental property simply to buy time until you can move into your new rental can have a lasting impact on your credit history that can remain there for years.

Gail

FarmerJ

Does your current lease say clearly that you are expected to be vacated by the end of May 2 ?? The current landlord cannot just toss your stuff to the curb , your current landlord must follow your states process to evict and as Gail told you some states have temporary moratoriums to block eviction actions , you may have to put your things into self storage and camp out on someones couch for a week. ( If your current landlord shows up and tries to force you to leave you are free to tell him to leave and if he doesn't to call 911 and tell them your LL is trying to force you out of your rental unit with out a court order and refuses to leave after being told to leave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">