• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What rights do i have if i moved in with roaches ect.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leasenmak

I live in Colorado. I have lived in my apartment for less than 6 months. Since I moved in i have discovered a roach problem, I have a mouse that I see daily, the stove has one working burner, and mold. I have contacted the office regarding all the issues. They came out 3 times for the roaches, sprayed under the sinks and that was it, it did nothing. I have tried products on my own but I recently pulled the dishwasher out and the problem is clearly to big to handle on my own. I have holes in the wall under all the sinks. I also have found what looks like black mold under the sinks. I see a mouse daily. I called to complain that the burners were not working properly but they never came to look until I have one explode, literally explode while i was cooking, hot grease went everywhere and we lost all power, the breaker box wouldn't even work. They came out got power back on and told us one burner works the rest don't, that was 2 weeks ago haven't a seen anyone since. The biggest problems are the roaches and mold. Do I have to pay rent if they are not doing there part on fixing this problem? I just don't know what rights I have, i have made written complaints regarding all of this and nothing is being done.

Just Blue

I live in Colorado. I have lived in my apartment for less than 6 months. Since I moved in i have discovered a roach problem, I have a mouse that I see daily, the stove has one working burner, and mold. I have contacted the office regarding all the issues. They came out 3 times for the roaches, sprayed under the sinks and that was it, it did nothing. I have tried products on my own but I recently pulled the dishwasher out and the problem is clearly to big to handle on my own. I have holes in the wall under all the sinks. I also have found what looks like black mold under the sinks. I see a mouse daily. I called to complain that the burners were not working properly but they never came to look until I have one explode, literally explode while i was cooking, hot grease went everywhere and we lost all power, the breaker box wouldn't even work. They came out got power back on and told us one burner works the rest don't, that was 2 weeks ago haven't a seen anyone since. The biggest problems are the roaches and mold. Do I have to pay rent if they are not doing there part on fixing this problem? I just don't know what rights I have, i have made written complaints regarding all of this and nothing is being done.
Make a complaint with the health department.

FarmerJ

Yup either your city housing/ building inspections department or if your town is so small it doesnt have a inspections department then your county health dept.

t74

For self-help on holes around pipes, surround pipes in the space in the wall with copper (not steel unless stainless steel due to rusting) wool or mesh squished up. (sorry it is hard to describe) If you have a dryer vent open to the outside, make sure it has a flapper to close when it is not running and the vent hose has no holes (the mice come down the vent and chew a hole in the vent hose.)

As for roaches, treating only one unit in a multiunit building only chases them next door until they treat that unit. Get all of the tenants in the building get together to have the landlord treat the entire building inside and out at the same time.

FarmerJ

T74 in some multi units the bigger problem is that there are one or two tenants who refuse to cooperate when it comes to preparing a unit to be treated for roaches and some will go as far as refusing to allow exterminators entry let and just dont give a rats behind about neighbors So the cycle of the roaches never ends with roaches re invading spaces that were treated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">