• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ignoring an injunction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Print out extra copies of the injunction, park your car or truck so it blocks the road, hand out copies of the injunction, call the police if they give you a hard time.

Otherwise it's going to be months before you can get the court to do anything and the manure people will probably ignore that, too.
I walked down to the manure piles and gave the driver of the front loader a copy of the injunction last Monday.
It's now the 19th and the trucks started at 05:20 this morning.

quincy

Thanks, let me look up how that's done.
You would start with a Motion for Order to Show Cause personally served on your neighbor and then file a Request for Hearing on your motion with the court.

You will be looking for monetary sanctions from the court.

Last edited:
You would start with a Motion for Order to Show Cause personally served on your neighbor and then file a Request for Hearing on your motion with the court.

You will be looking for monetary sanctions from the court.
Would I have to give a specific monetary figure or can I leave that to the discretion of the court?

quincy

Would I have to give a specific monetary figure or can I leave that to the discretion of the court?
You will want to attach an Affidavit asking the court for whatever you want the court to do, and attach supporting documents and facts of the case. The court ultimately will decide what to do (e.g., what sanctions to impose, if any).

You should consult with an attorney in New Mexico.

quincy

He was explaining it to me. I did not realize that direct and indirect contempt defined in court vs outside of court contempt.
What Neil has described appears to be a clear violation of the injunction but, yes, it is an indirect contempt of the court when outside the immediate view and presence of the court.

Indirect contempts generally occur when a party fails to or refuses to obey a court order or injunction or a decree of the court. Direct contempts are offenses occurring in court against the dignity of the court.

Last edited:
The word may have filtered down the grapevine as the trucks have now stopped.
I'm going to file the motion for contempt and to have the original preliminary injunction modified to require the defendant to install a physical barrier.
I emailed the defendant's attorney and asked if he would object to the motion, as required by the rules of civil procedure, but so far, no reply.
Looking at Rule 7-304 it just says to ask if the motion will be opposed, but gives not indication on how long I'm required to wait for an answer before filing.

Last edited:

quincy

The word may have filtered down the grapevine as the trucks have now stopped.
I'm going to file the motion for contempt and to have the original preliminary injunction modified to require the defendant to install a physical barrier.
I emailed the defendant's attorney and asked if he would object to the motion, as required by the rules of civil procedure, but so far, no reply.
Looking at Rule 7-304 it just says to ask if the motion will be opposed, but gives not indication on how long I'm required to wait for an answer before filing.
It is good to hear that the trucks for now have stopped using the road that borders your property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">