• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor will not pay me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Florida Raised

We need more information including the name of your state.
Florida

So I work for a contractor he owes me $550 said he was going to pay me but never showed up started ignoring my phone calls everything gave me the run-around I mean it's just stupid stuff I am in a position where I can't take any more losses that $550 is desperately needed so when he said he was going to come pay me my money but never showed up and then started ignoring my phone calls I took some collateral that he would pay me my money and I would give him the collateral I got I didn't do nothing with it or just I needed some security that I would get paid so now I'm being threatened that he's going to kill me and all the stuff but I'm still not getting my money

Just Blue

Florida

So I work for a contractor he owes me $550 said he was going to pay me but never showed up started ignoring my phone calls everything gave me the run-around I mean it's just stupid stuff I am in a position where I can't take any more losses that $550 is desperately needed so when he said he was going to come pay me my money but never showed up and then started ignoring my phone calls I took some collateral that he would pay me my money and I would give him the collateral I got I didn't do nothing with it or just I needed some security that I would get paid so now I'm being threatened that he's going to kill me and all the stuff but I'm still not getting my money
You can not hold property "hostage" for payment. You MAY and SHOULD report the contractor to the Dept. of Labor.

https://www.dol.gov/general/maps/2019/fl

File a complaint for the death threats with your local police dept.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I took some collateral ...
Please clarify this. Do you mean that you came to an agreement with the other party that he would offer an item for you to hold on to until he paid you? Or, do you mean that you grabbed something of his without his permission and now you refuse to return it until you are paid?

If it's the first, then it's fine that you hold on to the item until you are paid (assuming you can prove the agreement). If it's the second, then you are admitting to a CRIME and can be prosecuted for it. The guy shouldn't bother to threaten your life (also a crime), rather, he should threaten and then follow through with calling the police.

zddoodah

In any future posts, please make an effort to use something that resembles proper capitalization and punctuation. Doing so will make it easier for others to read and understand what you write.

Also, you didn't ask a question.

I work for a contractor he owes me $550 said he was going to pay me but never showed up
So...you're an employee? Or an independent contractor? Owes you $550 for what? Never showed up where?

I took some collateral that he would pay me my money and I would give him the collateral
So... you stole property from the guy. What exactly did you steal?

now I'm being threatened that he's going to kill me and all the stuff
That's obviously an inappropriate reaction, but I'd suggest you return the stolen property ASAP and contact your state's department of labor (if you're an employee) or file suit in small claims court (if the money owed is something other than wages).

quincy

In any future posts, please make an effort to use something that resembles proper capitalization and punctuation. Doing so will make it easier for others to read and understand what you write.

Also, you didn't ask a question.

So...you're an employee? Or an independent contractor? Owes you $550 for what? Never showed up where?

So... you stole property from the guy. What exactly did you steal?

That's obviously an inappropriate reaction, but I'd suggest you return the stolen property ASAP and contact your state's department of labor (if you're an employee) or file suit in small claims court (if the money owed is something other than wages).
Unless the feature is specifically requested, most Speech-to-Text does not include punctuation. That can often be the reason why you see lengthy posts missing periods or commas or question marks.

PayrollHRGuy

Unless the feature is specifically requested, most Speech-to-Text does not include punctuation. That can often be the reason why you see lengthy posts missing periods or commas or question marks.
Then people need to request the feature or not use text-to-speech.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">