• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible law suite

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

limpyL

What is the name of your state? PA

i have a friend that would like to move in. In order to do that modifications would need to be done on my house. My friend agreed to pay for these modifications knowing I would not pay them back. (approx 30-40k)

My questions are:

If my friend makes these changes and wants to move out in 6 months do I need to worry about them coming back for money?

If i get tired of my friend being at my house and I ask them to leave in 2 months do I need to worry about them coming back for money?

can we file an agreement in court that if they make these modifications and move out for any reason I am free of any actions?

Just Blue

i have a friend that would like to move in. In order to do that modifications would need to be done on my house. My friend agreed to pay for these modifications knowing I would not pay them back. (approx 30-40k)

My questions are:

If my friend makes these changes and wants to move out in 6 months do I need to worry about them coming back for money?

If i get tired of my friend being at my house and I ask them to leave in 2 months do I need to worry about them coming back for money?

can we file an agreement in court that if they make these modifications and move out for any reason I am free of any actions?
What type of modifications would be done?

adjusterjack

I could use a friend like that.

Yes.

Yes.

You wouldn't need to file anything in court but you should have some sort of contract that protects his investment should the friendship end soon. He/she would be unbelievably stupid to not have something like that.

Litigator22

My questions are:

If such a generous "friend" was for real and not a figment of your equally generous imagination, it would be a toss up as to which of you is most in need of a prefrontal lobotomy! (Some people in here didn't arrive by falling off of a turnip truck, limpyl.)

LdiJ

My questions are:

You definitely need to be worried about the bolded. Certainly you can make a contract that addresses the modifications but don't expect that you can get away with making a contract that they spend 30-40k on your home and you can boot them out in just a few months.

zddoodah

That will depend on the terms of your contract with your friend.

You would both be fools not to carefully document the terms of your agreement in a written contract that you both sign.

You know your friend. We don't. How do you suppose he might react to paying $30-40k for improvements to your home and being asked to leave after only two months?

Why would you "file an agreement in court"? A contract typically only gets filed with the court if there is a lawsuit over the contract.

quincy

My questions are:

limpyL, what type of modifications are you considering? Why does your friend want to spend such a large sum of money to move in with you?

You have said in previous threads that you are a disabled veteran. Is your friend also a disabled veteran?

Are the modifications to your house ones that stand to benefit you as much as they benefit your friend?

These questions are only peripheral to your main questions but the answers could help us direct you to resources in your area where you can get some help in drafting a contract that protects both you and your friend.

limpyL

They would convert a room into a new master. This would allow for my friend and kids to move in. The example of months I gave were just an example. Thinking worse case scenario. We spoke about it and this would be my friends "rent."

It wouldn't benefit me as my house works perfectly for me and my family in its current state.

Is this something that we can write it up, have a lawyer review it then have it notarized?

quincy

They would convert a room into a new master. This would allow for my friend and kids to move in. The example of months I gave were just an example. Thinking worse case scenario. We spoke about it and this would be my friends "rent."

It wouldn't benefit me as my house works perfectly for me and my family in its current state.

Is this something that we can write it up, have a lawyer review it then have it notarized?
If the money spent for modifications is to be in lieu of rent, you will want (and especially your friend will want) the amount of money spent on modifications broken down to show the amount of monthly rent he has paid in advance and the lease term the advance rent covers.

The attorney you see can help you draft the lease agreement.

One thing you will NOT be able to do is kick your friend out in violation of the landlord/tenant laws in your state.

zddoodah

Well...in my prior response, I wrote the following: "You would both be fools not to carefully document the terms of your agreement in a written contract that you both sign." Why you'd have it notarized is beyond me, but you certainly can do that.

Here are some questions for you: $36k would cover a year of rent at a place that costs $3k per month. How long are you willing to let your friend and his/her kids live in your home rent-free in exchange for an improvement to your home that "wouldn't benefit [you]"? I don't know what your place is like or what kind of neighborhood it's in, but if it's anything more than a couple years, you're probably getting a bad deal. Why is your friend willing to spend that kind of money on an improvement to your home rather than using it to pay rent somewhere else? And, while you describe "[t]he example of months" as a "worse [sic] case scenario," isn't it a very real possibility? This is not only another person but that other person and a kid. What are you going to do if you agree in advance to two years but the situation proves unbearable after two months?

You don't need to answer those questions here, but they are things you need to think about before agreeing to this.

quincy

limpyL, I know from your posting history on this forum that you have (or had) rental property, and you had problems with them, so I suspect you want to avoid similar problems.

Here for your review is a link to the landlord/tenant laws in Pennsylvania that you will need to know if you decide to go ahead with your plan to let a friend make modifications to you home and become a long term tenant:
https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legis/LI/uconsCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&yr=1951&sessInd=0&smthLwInd=0&act=0020.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">