• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No raise after getting promoted.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dalrow

What is the name of your state? Texas
My 23 yr old son has been working for 4 yrs, for a fast-food chain. He was promoted to an upper level with more responsibilities. However, when he asked about raise in his hourly wages, he was told "we are going to see how you handle stuff". That was back in Dec. 2019. He brought the issue back up in Feb and on and the response has been the same. What are his options, also, isn't it illegal to give him more responsibilities and not give a penny raise? Please advise what route he needs to take. Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Texas
My 23 yr old son has been working for 4 yrs, for a fast-food chain. He was promoted to an upper level with more responsibilities. However, when he asked about raise in his hourly wages, he was told "we are going to see how you handle stuff". That was back in Dec. 2019. He brought the issue back up in Feb and on and the response has been the same. What are his options, also, isn't it illegal to give him more responsibilities and not give a penny raise? Please advise what route he needs to take. Thanks.
His options are to continue working or look for work elsewhere. No, it's not illegal at all to give more responsibilities without a raise. Advice on a route to take? I would recommend one in which his mom isn't trying to figure out his adult problems for him.

PayrollHRGuy

Your son could be made the President of the company and there would be no legal requirement to pay him more than the minimum wage.

P.S. Your son is now 23 and seems to be moving up in the world. You should likely let him start handling issues like this all on his own.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Barring a legally binding and enforceable contract that expressly states otherwise, the ONLY time a raise is required by law is if minimum wage is raised by either the state legislature or an act of Congress, AND the employee's hourly wage is lower than the new minimum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">