• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney vs. Pro se (Working under the table)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have decided to try again for child support after going through a custody battle. I filed for support in 2018. However, due to the ongoing custody dispute that ended early this year I still have yet to be given a child support amount by family court. Also soon after the pandemic hit resulting in more complications.

I received a letter that said that I was eligible to file for modification. I would need to send in all of the financial documentation yet again.
Through all of the confusion, Dad has changed all of his rental properties to our child's name to avoid it being reported as income. He also has a trucking business that he does not run under his name in which he has hired other drivers. I know this because he has literally teased me about it bragging about him outsmarting the system and I would never get a dime out of him. He also works on call for a company so that he can maintain the free health care insurance.

The court requires that Dad keep insurance on our son, which he has. However, with his insurance I would have to pay for some expenses up front and they reimburse Dad on the back end. Dad would not provide reimbursement to me for costs that I spend so I still have to use my own insurance.

We live in two different states. I have transportation costs associated with visitation as well.

Family support office told me that they can only use financial information that shows under his social security number.

If I hire an attorney, can the attorney do anything more to get a reasonable child support order? If so, what can attorney do?

zddoodah

If I hire an attorney, can the attorney do anything more to get a reasonable child support order?
Anything more than what?

If so, what can attorney do?
I assume your questions have something to do with your allegations that the father hides income. Obviously, you can investigate this and, if you can prove income beyond what is "under his social security number," then the court will make an appropriate ruling. The problem, of course, is that investigating and proving this sort of thing costs money.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I have decided to try again for child support after going through a custody battle. I filed for support in 2018. However, due to the ongoing custody dispute that ended early this year I still have yet to be given a child support amount by family court. Also soon after the pandemic hit resulting in more complications.

I received a letter that said that I was eligible to file for modification. I would need to send in all of the financial documentation yet again.
Through all of the confusion, Dad has changed all of his rental properties to our child's name to avoid it being reported as income. He also has a trucking business that he does not run under his name in which he has hired other drivers. I know this because he has literally teased me about it bragging about him outsmarting the system and I would never get a dime out of him. He also works on call for a company so that he can maintain the free health care insurance.

The court requires that Dad keep insurance on our son, which he has. However, with his insurance I would have to pay for some expenses up front and they reimburse Dad on the back end. Dad would not provide reimbursement to me for costs that I spend so I still have to use my own insurance.

We live in two different states. I have transportation costs associated with visitation as well.

Family support office told me that they can only use financial information that shows under his social security number.

If I hire an attorney, can the attorney do anything more to get a reasonable child support order? If so, what can attorney do?
You are the custodial parent, right? If so, the bolded becomes hilarious. The child is a minor? If so, the bolded becomes hilarious. Because CHILD is the one who owns the property, the custodial parent gets to collect the rent. And put it in a fund for the child. And use it on the child's needs. Or if you wanted to sell it, you could ask that probate court make you the guardian of your child's property and get permission to sell it and use the money to the benefit of the child.

Get an attorney and talk to them.

You are the custodial parent, right? If so, the bolded becomes hilarious. The child is a minor? If so, the bolded becomes hilarious. Because CHILD is the one who owns the property, the custodial parent gets to collect the rent. And put it in a fund for the child. And use it on the child's needs. Or if you wanted to sell it, you could ask that probate court make you the guardian of your child's property and get permission to sell it and use the money to the benefit of the child.

Get an attorney and talk to them.
I am the custodial parent. Father has visitation. Father is not providing any financial support. He has our children along with other children from previous marriage. Our child is 3.

LdiJ

You would almost be better off spending your money on a private investigator to prove that he is actually working. However, an attorney could also subpeona his tax returns to see if he is reporting the rental properties in his name.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am the custodial parent. Father has visitation. Father is not providing any financial support. He has our children along with other children from previous marriage. Our child is 3.
Do what I said. Your three year old has PROPERTY IN HIS NAME? Yeah. Get an attorney and serve to be guardian of his property and even petition to sell it. Then bank that money for your child.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You would almost be better off spending your money on a private investigator to prove that he is actually working. However, an attorney could also subpeona his tax returns to see if he is reporting the rental properties in his name.
You missed the biggest mark in the whole post. Dad put the rentals in their child's name... Bypass a private investigator because time to play legal games and take dad for what he gave the child.

You missed the biggest mark in the whole post. Dad put the rentals in their child's name... Bypass a private investigator because time to play legal games and take dad for what he gave the child.
Which type of lawyer would you recommend? Should I still be seeking family law? I have called around a little and some that I have talked to seem to be unsure. I just want to be sure I am consulting the right type of attorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Probate attorney is what I would recommend to get guardianship over your son's property. If those properties are deeded to him, dad screwed up. If the business is in child's name, dad screwed up royally. And if dad is still collecting rent on these properties? Sue him in court for the amounts of the rent due to the fact that he is committing fraud. Also contact all the property owners and let them know that the property has been transferred and your son is now the owner and as his guardian, dad shouldn't be receiving any rents. But get an attorney first. Because dad putting the properties in child's name was a big screw up for him. If the business is in child's name, get guardianship and FIRE dad. And also sue dad for all the rent money collected during the time he collects that it was in child's name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">