• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving without Registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Depending on your specific set of facts, you may be able to drive under the "7 day transfer law"

7 Day Transfer Law
Grace Period for Registration Transfers after Vehicle Purchase:
From June 12 until August 12, 2020 (or when the State of Emergency ends), an Executive Order issued by Governor Charlie Baker temporary extends this grace period requirement to 21 calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your new one.

If you already own a vehicle or trailer, and buy a new one from a dealer or a used vehicle or trailer from an individual, you can transfer your registration to the new vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of 7 calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your new one.

Under this grace period, the following conditions must be met:

You must be at least 18 years old
The new vehicle or trailer must be of the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous one
You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle
You must have lost possession of or disposed of your previous vehicle
The registration plates must be attached to the newly acquired vehicle
There is no grace period if you do not currently have a registered vehicle or trailer. The RMV does not issue temporary registration plates.

Source: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/transfer-your-registration-to-a-vehicle-or-trailer-purchased-from-a-dealer

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Depending on your specific set of facts, you may be able to drive under the "7 day transfer law"
There is no grace period if you do not currently have a registered vehicle or trailer. The RMV does not issue temporary registration plates.
No, this doesn't help the OP at all. He has no vehicle that is currently registered in MA and he is not a resident of MA.

Dale Sr

We're not talking about an unregistered vehicle (only) - we're talking about fictitious plates (wrong plates attached to the vehicle)
Not necessarily. That was just one option. Driving with no tag is another option.

And of course the car would be insured.

But it would not be inspected. Could not get it inspected until it was back in PA.

No, this doesn't help the OP at all. He has no vehicle that is currently registered in MA and he is not a resident of MA.
I stand corrected. I searched temp tags in MA, and came up with this. At least it's an inconvenience for both in state and out of state drivers.

Dale Sr

7 Day Transfer Law
From June 12 until August 12, 2020 (or when the State of Emergency ends), an Executive Order issued by Governor Charlie Baker temporary extends this grace period requirement to 21 calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your new one.

If you already own a vehicle or trailer, and buy a new one from a dealer or a used vehicle or trailer from an individual, you can transfer your registration to the new vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of 7 calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your new one.

The new vehicle or trailer must be of the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous one
You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle

Source: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/transfer-your-registration-to-a-vehicle-or-trailer-purchased-from-a-dealer
Good thought, but this would not apply. The car would get registered in PA, not MA.

Also, when the car was registered in PA, it would be a new registration, not a tag transfer.

Thanks though.

Zigner

Not necessarily. That was just one option. Driving with no tag is another option.

And of course the car would be insured.

But it would not be inspected. Could not get it inspected until it was back in PA.
Rent a car trailer and bring it back yourself or pay to have it transported. Nobody here is going to advise you to do anything illegal.

Mass_Shyster

7 Day Transfer Law

The above only applies to Massachusetts plates/registrations.

Mass_Shyster

1. Go to MA, buy the car and drive it back to PA without it being registered (perhaps with license plate from another vehicle to reduce the chances of getting pulled over). If I get pulled over, I would be cited (possibly multiple times in multiple states). I would have insurance, bill of sale, drivers license, inspection, but no registration.

2. Pay the dealer before picking it up. Get paperwork sent to me over night. Get vehicle registered in PA (without having the vehicle). Drive to MA to get it and hope it is there when I arrive.
Option 3: Tow the vehicle to PA
Option 4: Ask the dealer if you can drive the car to PA using his dealer plates? (Highly unlikely)
Option 5: Pay for car. Take title and keys with you. Leave car parked at dealer's lot (with permission). Properly register car in PA. Return to MA with PA plates and registration. drive car to PA.
Option 6: Pay for car. Overnight title to someone in PA who can get plates and registration and have them overnight plates and registration to you in your Massachusetts Hotel. (Don't leave hotel - there's a quarantine order in place for your out-of-staters). Attach plates and drive home.

Zigner

Option 3: Tow the vehicle to PA
Option 4: Ask the dealer if you can drive the car to PA using his dealer plates? (Highly unlikely)
Option 5: Pay for car. Take title and keys with you. Leave car parked at dealer's lot (with permission). Properly register car in PA. Return to MA with PA plates and registration. drive car to PA.
Option 6: Pay for car. Overnight title to someone in PA who can get plates and registration and have them overnight plates and registration to you in your Massachusetts Hotel. (Don't leave hotel - there's a quarantine order in place for your out-of-staters). Attach plates and drive home.
I like your thinking-outside-the-box suggestions

Mass_Shyster

I like your thinking-outside-the-box suggestions
It's not too far outside the box (for me).

The last three used cars I've bought, I paid for and took the keys. Got plates and returned a few days later to pick up car. There's a slight risk that the seller will 'steal' the car from me, but since I have the title, all they could do is bring it to a chop shop. I don't think the cars I generally buy are at risk for that, especially since I know the who the seller is and his/her address.

FlyingRon

Do dealers in MA not give temporary tags? Wouldn't it be legal to drive the car on a temporary tag? Obviously they don't do in transit tags but doesn't everybody drive away from the dealer with temporary tags?
No, there are no temporary tags in Massachusetts. In addition, if you are Mass resident, you can not use transit or temporary tags issued by another state.

PayrollHRGuy

Why does Mass make it so hard to buy a car there? Seems that the car dealers would have lobbied the legislature long ago for some method to sell a car and not make the buyer an instant criminal should they wish to simply drive it home.

FlyingRon

Why does Mass make it so hard to buy a car there? Seems that the car dealers would have lobbied the legislature long ago for some method to sell a car and not make the buyer an instant criminal should they wish to simply drive it home.
In their "defense," they make it very hard for a resident to buy a car from out of state as well.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have had the same plate for the last three if not four cars I've owned. What's more, I have the green plate that only have the rear plate instead of the red plates that have front and rear both. Darned if I know why but that's what the RMV keeps issuing me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">