• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommate and property left behind

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

New Mexico my friend was temporarily staying at my home for a month untill she found elsewhere to stay, she moved to shelter 9 days ago ive asked her to come pick up the rest of her belongings and haven't yet she has said repeatedly she will be by to collect her belongings in wich she never does. I have her stuff ready in boxes by the door. I dont want her on my house.Can civil standby let her enter my home ? She is claiming she paid rent but she never did. Her stay was temporary.

Just Blue

New Mexico my friend was temporarily staying at my home for a month untill she found elsewhere to stay, she moved to shelter 9 days ago ive asked her to come pick up the rest of her belongings and haven't yet she has said repeatedly she will be by to collect her belongings in wich she never does. I have her stuff ready in boxes by the door. I dont want her on my house.Can civil standby let her enter my home ? She is claiming she paid rent but she never did. Her stay was temporary.
How much "stuff" did she leave when she went to the shelter? Is it clothing? Furniture?

Yes I use my guest room for my grandkids when they come over. I dont want her coming in my house she's not trustworthy her stuff is in boxes by the door.

PayrollHRGuy

Yes I use my guest room for my grandkids when they come over. I dont want her coming in my house she's not trustworthy her stuff is in boxes by the door.
There is a huge difference between her coming over whenever she likes and you storing some boxes for a while.

That said here is info on the NM law on property left by a tenant.
http://jec.unm.edu/education/online-training/landlord-tenant-relations-tutorial/property-left-on-premises-by-tenant
When the tenant abandons the dwelling unit, the landlord does not acquire a lien on the tenant’s personal property. §§47-8-36.1(A) and 48-3-5.

Before disposing of the tenant’s personal property, the landlord must:

1. store all of the tenant’s personal property left on the premises for not less than thirty days;
  2. serve the resident with written notice stating the landlord’s intent to dispose of the personal property on a date not less than thirty days from the date of the notice. The notice shall also contain a telephone number and address where the resident can reasonably contact the owner prior to the disposition date in the notice;
  3. personally deliver the notice of intent to dispose of personal property to the resident or send it by first class mail, postage prepaid, to the resident’s last known address. If the notice is returned as undeliverable, or if the resident's last known address is the vacated dwelling unit, the landlord must serve at least one notice to such other address as the tenant provided, including the address of the resident's place of employment, or of a family member or emergency contact for which the owner has a record; and
  4. provide reasonable access and adequate opportunities for the tenant to retrieve all of the property stored prior to any disposition.
§47-8-34.1(A).

The owner may dispose of the stored property only if the resident does not claim or attempt to retrieve the stored personal property before the date specified in the notice of disposition of the property. §47-8-34.1(A)(6).

The landlord may charge the resident reasonable storage fees for any time that the owner provided storage for the resident's personal property and the prevailing rate of moving fees. The landlord may require payment of storage and moving costs prior to the release of the property. §47-8-34.1(G).

Would it be a burden to hang onto the clothing for a few weeks/month until she
Yes it would i use the guest room for my grandkids when they visit, id like my room bk in order and I dont want her in my house she is not trustworthy, her stuff is boxed and ready to be picked up. Can a civil standby let her in my home to go through the house.

my question i have her clothes in boxes ready for her to come and retrieve them. I dont want her coming in my house saying that my belongings are her belongings, can a civil standby allow her to come in my home?

Just Blue

my question i have her clothes in boxes ready for her to come and retrieve them. I dont want her coming in my house saying that my belongings are her belongings, can a civil standby allow her to come in my home?
Yes, you or she can request a civil standby but if the police are busy they may not be able to perform that function for you.

Litigator22

It doesn't matter whether she paid rent or didn't pay rent. Either way you can treat her as your former tenant and avail yourself of a landlord's statutory remedies of dealing with her left-behind-stuff. Read the link below and learn how.

http://jec.unm.edu/education/online-training/landlord-tenant-relations-tutorial/property-left-on-premises-by-tenant

PayrollHRGuy

You don't have to let her come into your home at all. You agree to a time for her to come get them and when she arrives you hand the boxes to her at the door.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">