• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommate and property left behind

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

What is to stop her from lying saying my belongings are her belongings? She's capable of lying
There's nothing to "stop" her from lying ...just like there isn't anything stopping you from doing the same. I suppose you could dig out some receipts for things she may try and claim are yours...tv, jewelry and such.

What is to stop her from saying that if the police are there?

If she thinks you kept something of hers's she can sue you in court.
Thank you ill hand her belongings to her through the door, my concern was her being allowed in my home and saying my belongings were hers and walking out with them.

There's nothing to "stop" her from lying ...just like there isn't anything stopping you from doing the same. I suppose you could dig out some receipts for things she may try and claim are yours...tv, jewelry and such.
Exactly! My concern is that a civil standby would let her go through my home and take what she wants by saying that they belong to her. Can a civil standby allow her in my home?

Just Blue

If you refuse entry into your home the police are unlikely to force the issue. The ex-friend can file a civil suit against you if she "feels" that you are keeping some of her items ...Personally I would take my "good stuff" and hide it away and let her and the officer in the house for her to retrieve her things. Just get it over with.

If you refuse entry into your home the police are unlikely to force the issue. The ex-friend can file a civil suit against you if she "feels" that you are keeping some of her items ...Personally I would take my "good stuff" and hide it away and let her and the officer in the house for her to retrieve her things. Just get it over with.
No im letting her in my home ill hand her belongings at the door, she was staying in my guest room im not hinding my stuff. She's been enough of a pain and stress on me as it is. I just wanted to know if I could refuse her from entering my home without getting in trouble with law enforcement.

PayrollHRGuy

No im letting her in my home ill hand her belongings at the door, she was staying in my guest room im not hinding my stuff. She's been enough of a pain and stress on me as it is. I just wanted to know if I could refuse her from entering my home without getting in trouble with law enforcement.
Unless a law officer has a warrant you don't have to let anyone in your home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">