• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-best friend attempted to commit suicide, family blaming it on me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hey all,

I live in New Jersey and go to college in Pennsylvania. I'm a 19 y/o college student. I'm gonna call this person Smith (which isn't his real name). This is a complex story so I really appreciate any advice because I've been super worried about it.

Going into college, me and Smith were best friends since high school. We coincidently went to the same college and decided to dorm with each other in September 2019. However, Smith had a history with mental illness. I knew about this mental illness before, but did not know it was severe at all. Anyways, in college, Smith attempted to kill himself three times (my friends witnessed these suicide attempts as well). All three times I urged Smith to get help from the college therapy center and his psychologist. However, all three times, he did not listen.

Eventually, Smith irresponsibly drank alcohol while taking his medication which caused him to have a seizure. As we called 911, Smith woke up and magically was completely okay. We suspect that Smith had faked this seizure to lure me away from a girl I was interested in, but obviously, we are not sure. I called his parents, notifying them of Smith's suicide attempts. They picked him up from campus, but he returned a week later.

Anyways, while we were at college, Smith treated me like we were in some kind of relationship. He was very protective and didn't like others associating with me. Eventually, in March 2020, I found Smith to be very mentally draining and had nicely told him that I no longer wanted to be friends.
After I had cut off Smith, he revealed to the public that he was bisexual. Smith then made up rumors to many others that him and I were in a "secret relationship" and that were "consistently having gay sex". Being from a very religious family, he knew that by telling people this, it would hurt my relationship with my family and religious friends. He expressed to his friends that he hated me, and that he wanted to get revenge on me for "breaking his heart" (because I'm not gay and didn't want a relationship lol). He told people that he had videos as proof.

When people confronted me about these rumors, I denied them. When asked about the video, I said that I wasn't aware of the video, but if there is one, it wasn't consensual and it was sexual assault. The reason why I said it is sexual assault is because I heard I was sleeping in this video. I do not remember doing anything with him... unless I was blacked out drunk in my dorm. I didn't know how else to respond to those claims of videos because when ever someone said "but there is video proof", I didn't know what to say. This is where the legal problems start to arise. Rumors then circulated that Smith had sexually assaulted me and that there is a video of it. The rumor got around to Smith, and then he tried to commit suicide because two of his close friends dropped him. He says that I edited this video to defame him and to cover up our "secret relationship"....which never happened.

Smith's family confronted my family, blaming his suicide attempt on me. They say that I started this rumor and that I intended to harm Smith. They want me to be held accountable for starting a rumor that I never made. After I dropped Smith, I never wanted to hurt him. They also say that I had sexually assaulted Smith sometime in October 2019, which also did not happen. They are supporting this claim by saying that Smith's rectum was bleeding in October (documented by a doctor) due to the fact that I apparently sexually assaulted him. However, Smith confessed to his friends that he wanted to have sex with me again just last month. If I actually did sexually assault him...why would he say this?

My question is.... is there any case here? They keep saying they are going to get lawyers and the authorities involved, but I have done nothing wrong. They say they have overwhelming documentation from the psychiatrist and psychologists Smith has been working with to prove we were in a secret relationship and that I caused his suicide. However, these medical officials have only been speaking to Smith and have no other choice but to believe them. Smith is also severely mentally ill and is diagnosed with depression and bipolar disorder. He is known to lie and mistake fantasy for reality (not diagnosed, just known from his friends). This is super draining and upsetting to be involved in and I just want to know if they can frame me for doing something I didn't do. I really appreciate any advice or help in advance.

quincy

Hey all,

I live in New Jersey and go to college in Pennsylvania. I'm a 19 y/o college student. I'm gonna call this person Smith (which isn't his real name). This is a complex story so I really appreciate any advice because I've been super worried about it.

Going into college, me and Smith were best friends since high school. We coincidently went to the same college and decided to dorm with each other in September 2019. However, Smith had a history with mental illness. I knew about this mental illness before, but did not know it was severe at all. Anyways, in college, Smith attempted to kill himself three times (my friends witnessed these suicide attempts as well). All three times I urged Smith to get help from the college therapy center and his psychologist. However, all three times, he did not listen.

Eventually, Smith irresponsibly drank alcohol while taking his medication which caused him to have a seizure. As we called 911, Smith woke up and magically was completely okay. We suspect that Smith had faked this seizure to lure me away from a girl I was interested in, but obviously, we are not sure. I called his parents, notifying them of Smith's suicide attempts. They picked him up from campus, but he returned a week later.

Anyways, while we were at college, Smith treated me like we were in some kind of relationship. He was very protective and didn't like others associating with me. Eventually, in March 2020, I found Smith to be very mentally draining and had nicely told him that I no longer wanted to be friends.
After I had cut off Smith, he revealed to the public that he was bisexual. Smith then made up rumors to many others that him and I were in a "secret relationship" and that were "consistently having gay sex". Being from a very religious family, he knew that by telling people this, it would hurt my relationship with my family and religious friends. He expressed to his friends that he hated me, and that he wanted to get revenge on me for "breaking his heart" (because I'm not gay and didn't want a relationship lol). He told people that he had videos as proof.

When people confronted me about these rumors, I denied them. When asked about the video, I said that I wasn't aware of the video, but if there is one, it wasn't consensual and it was sexual assault. The reason why I said it is sexual assault is because I heard I was sleeping in this video. I do not remember doing anything with him... unless I was blacked out drunk in my dorm. I didn't know how else to respond to those claims of videos because when ever someone said "but there is video proof", I didn't know what to say. This is where the legal problems start to arise. Rumors then circulated that Smith had sexually assaulted me and that there is a video of it. The rumor got around to Smith, and then he tried to commit suicide because two of his close friends dropped him. He says that I edited this video to defame him and to cover up our "secret relationship"....which never happened.

Smith's family confronted my family, blaming his suicide attempt on me. They say that I started this rumor and that I intended to harm Smith. They want me to be held accountable for starting a rumor that I never made. After I dropped Smith, I never wanted to hurt him. They also say that I had sexually assaulted Smith sometime in October 2019, which also did not happen. They are supporting this claim by saying that Smith's rectum was bleeding in October (documented by a doctor) due to the fact that I apparently sexually assaulted him. However, Smith confessed to his friends that he wanted to have sex with me again just last month. If I actually did sexually assault him...why would he say this?

My question is.... is there any case here? They keep saying they are going to get lawyers and the authorities involved, but I have done nothing wrong. They say they have overwhelming documentation from the psychiatrist and psychologists Smith has been working with to prove we were in a secret relationship and that I caused his suicide. However, these medical officials have only been speaking to Smith and have no other choice but to believe them. Smith is also severely mentally ill and is diagnosed with depression and bipolar disorder. He is known to lie and mistake fantasy for reality (not diagnosed, just known from his friends). This is super draining and upsetting to be involved in and I just want to know if they can frame me for doing something I didn't do. I really appreciate any advice or help in advance.
Are both you (or your parents) and Smith (or Smith’s parents) wealthy?

ALawyer

I am sorry that you are in the situation you are, and my best advice is to IMMEDIATELY retain a lawyer with whom you can discuss all the facts and all the background in total confidence to determine what your best course of action is, and likely also speak with a licensed psychiatrist or psychologist, and no one else except perhaps a capable and trained clergy-person or your parents.

I would advise any person in your situation to DELETE your post and to NEVER discuss the subject with anyone other than a lawyer or a psychotherapist so what you say can not be used against you, and the discussions can be kept totally confidential. Never post anything you don't want the world to know on any publicly accessible internet or other forum as anything you post can be seen by others.

adjusterjack

My question is.... is there any case here?
For you and your parents, maybe. Consult a defamation attorney. You and your parents should consider filing a defamation lawsuit against Smith and parents Smith and hit them with it ASAP. The one who sues first often has the upper hand, especially if the other side was just spewing hot air. That should shut them up and get them out of your lives.

Meantime, stop talking to them. You and your parents should just block their calls, texts and emails, and avoid confrontation.

quincy

Defamation lawsuits are notoriously costly to pursue. Unless the injury to one’s reputation is severe and there is a chance of being awarded collectible damages, there are generally better, less expensive solutions.

The first best step is often to have an attorney send a cease and desist letter to the defamer, stating that legal action is being considered and may be pursued if the defamatory statements are not stopped.

Here are links to overviews of both New Jersey and Pennsylvania defamation laws:

https://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/new-jersey-defamation-law

https://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/pennsylvania-defamation-law

Because Smith has a known history of mental illness, his statements about you may not be taken as seriously as similar statements made by you about him.

You can ignore Smith’s threats to sue but, if you are actually served with a summons and complaint, you will want an attorney’s assistance in defending against the claim. A countersuit could be considered at that time.

Last edited:
Are both you (or your parents) and Smith (or Smith’s parents) wealthy?
Hi, we are both maybe higher middle class, but I would say that Smith’s parents are somewhat wealthy.

I am sorry that you are in the situation you are, and my best advice is to IMMEDIATELY retain a lawyer with whom you can discuss all the facts and all the background in total confidence to determine what your best course of action is, and likely also speak with a licensed psychiatrist or psychologist, and no one else except perhaps a capable and trained clergy-person or your parents.

I would advise any person in your situation to DELETE your post and to NEVER discuss the subject with anyone other than a lawyer or a psychotherapist so what you say can not be used against you, and the discussions can be kept totally confidential. Never post anything you don't want the world to know on any publicly accessible internet or other forum as anything you post can be seen by others.
Yes, I totally understand. We thought about hiring a lawyer, but we thought we should wait and see if they take any action. I would say that the situation is already fairly public, because they called people to try to prove me wrong, but those people didn’t say anything and didn’t give any merit to the situation. Once the thread is dead I’ll delete the post. Do you think we should hire a lawyer right now to get a head start? Thank you so much for the advice.

For you and your parents, maybe. Consult a defamation attorney. You and your parents should consider filing a defamation lawsuit against Smith and parents Smith and hit them with it ASAP. The one who sues first often has the upper hand, especially if the other side was just spewing hot air. That should shut them up and get them out of your lives.

Meantime, stop talking to them. You and your parents should just block their calls, texts and emails, and avoid confrontation.
Hi, I am scared that filing a lawsuit first would just escalate the situation. Would we file the lawsuit on the basis that he was spreading rumors of being in a relationship?

Defamation lawsuits are notoriously costly to pursue. Unless the injury to one’s reputation is severe and there is a chance of being awarded collectible damages, there are generally better, less expensive solutions.

The first best step is often to have an attorney send a cease and desist letter to the defamer, stating that legal action is being considered and may be pursued if the defamatory statements are not stopped.

Here are links to overviews of both New Jersey and Pennsylvania defamation laws:

Because Smith has a known history of mental illness, his statements about you may not be taken as seriously as similar statements made by you about him.

You can ignore Smith’s threats to sue but, if you are actually served with a summons and complaint, you will want an attorney’s assistance in defending against the claim. A countersuit could be considered at that time.
Hi, thanks for the advice. I’m not looking to escalate the situation any further, but do you think sending a cease and desist letter would do anything in this situation? I want it to just be over and done with.

If Smith is still attending the same university, I would seriously consider transferring to another one if possible.
I actually heard that he was planning on transferring out. Hopefully he does because I don’t want anything to do with him.

quincy

Hi, we are both maybe higher middle class, but I would say that Smith’s parents are somewhat wealthy.

Yes, I totally understand. We thought about hiring a lawyer, but we thought we should wait and see if they take any action. I would say that the situation is already fairly public, because they called people to try to prove me wrong, but those people didn’t say anything and didn’t give any merit to the situation. Once the thread is dead I’ll delete the post. Do you think we should hire a lawyer right now to get a head start? Thank you so much for the advice.

Hi, I am scared that filing a lawsuit first would just escalate the situation. Would we file the lawsuit on the basis that he was spreading rumors of being in a relationship?

Hi, thanks for the advice. I’m not looking to escalate the situation any further, but do you think sending a cease and desist letter would do anything in this situation? I want it to just be over and done with.

I actually heard that he was planning on transferring out. Hopefully he does because I don’t want anything to do with him.
Sometimes letting the matter fade away on its own can be best IF you have not been harmed in a substantial way by what he has said - and if the choice is yours to make. If he decides to sue you, you will have to respond to the suit.

I tend to think that his parents will not want to sue a college student, especially after they discuss attorney fees with a defamation lawyer in their area. As I said before, defamation suits are extremely costly and can create additional injury as news of the lawsuit is made public.

In addition, their son is already suffering mentally. A lawsuit is liable to push him over the edge.

You can call an attorney in your area who specializes in defamation law to get his professional opinion. You can ask the attorney about the wisdom of sending a cease and desist letter at this time. Certainly if your friend does not stop communicating falsehoods about you, sending a C&D letter would make sense.

Good luck.

Also I would like to note, Smith is currently in the hospital and is not the one initiating this entire thing. His family is the one threatening to pursue some kind of lawsuit. Can his family (Smith is 18+) sue on behalf of Smith?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Can his family (Smith is 18+) sue on behalf of Smith?
No. He'd have to pursue the lawsuit himself unless he was declared incompetent and a guardian/conservator is appointed for him. In that latter instance his guardian may be able to retain a lawyer to sue. All his family can sue for is harm they themselves have suffered as a result of your alleged conduct, if they can find some legal grounds for it.

quincy

Also I would like to note, Smith is currently in the hospital and is not the one initiating this entire thing. His family is the one threatening to pursue some kind of lawsuit. Can his family (Smith is 18+) sue on behalf of Smith?
Smith is 18+? No, the parents generally would not be able to sue on Smith’s behalf. Smith is an adult.

The only way the parents could sue on behalf of their son is if their son is incapacitated, or judged to be mentally or emotionally incompetent and the court names the parents as legal representatives.

Why is he hospitalized? For the suicide attempts?

commentator

I like the idea that you see an attorney, and that you immediately and totally STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. There's altogether too much information here, information that I am sure you have shared with your close friends, and discussed with lots of people. Which means you are effectively spreading these rumors and stories much further than Smith or his parents are, regardless of what they have said to you or your parents. Are you forced to associate with these people say in a church or club setting in any way?

Moving on, decisively, may be hard to do when you're very worried about all this, but for heaven's sake, constant discussion with others about how if he has video proof of anything, it will be because maybe you were passed out drunk and he came in and all this stuff about his bleeding rectum should never ever ever have gone anywhere outside the time when you folks were perhaps forced to listen to it. Instead it sounds like you've got people telling you this, and that, and what this one said, and that one said. And people claiming that Smith is telling them he is wanting to have sex with you again. Don't tolerate people who are determined to tell you things and want to keep this story alive. Hopefully he will find a new school, but even if he doesn't you can effectively keep your distance from the situation, even if you have to find new friends in order to do so. If Smith wants to become a stalker, your being interested in him in any way will be rewarding to him. Extinguish the situation by staying miles away from it and speaking of it to no one anymore, other than perhaps that attorney.

quincy

I agree that talking about this to others is not the best thing for you to do right now, especially if you fear a lawsuit might be filed against you.

You could speak to an attorney in your area now to go over all details and for some advice and direction. Most attorneys will offer free initial consultations - but be sure you learn how long the “free part” of any consultation lasts. Some attorneys will start charging for their time after 15-30 minutes. Or you can wait to see what happens with Smith and his parents.

I hope for everyone’s sake that Smith gets the medical/mental help he needs and that Smith’s parents concentrate on the health of their son instead of on lawsuits.

Good luck.

(you can delete this thread if you think that anything you have said here can lead to someone identifying you)

Smith is 18+? No, the parents generally would not be able to sue on Smith’s behalf. Smith is an adult.

The only way the parents could sue on behalf of their son is if their son is incapacitated, or judged to be mentally or emotionally incompetent and the court names the parents as legal representatives.

Why is he hospitalized? For the suicide attempts?
Yes for the suicide attempts

I agree that talking about this to others is not the best thing for you to do right now, especially if you fear a lawsuit might be filed against you.

You could speak to an attorney in your area now to go over all details and for some advice and direction. Most attorneys will offer free initial consultations - but be sure you learn how long the “free part” of any consultation lasts. Some attorneys will start charging for their time after 15-30 minutes. Or you can wait to see what happens with Smith and his parents.

I hope for everyone’s sake that Smith gets the medical/mental help he needs and that Smith’s parents concentrate on the health of their son instead of on lawsuits.

Good luck.

(you can delete this thread if you think that anything you have said here can lead to someone identifying you)
I agree. Hopefully they focus on getting their son better because I think this will only hurt him even more.

I like the idea that you see an attorney, and that you immediately and totally STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. There's altogether too much information here, information that I am sure you have shared with your close friends, and discussed with lots of people. Which means you are effectively spreading these rumors and stories much further than Smith or his parents are, regardless of what they have said to you or your parents. Are you forced to associate with these people say in a church or club setting in any way?

Moving on, decisively, may be hard to do when you're very worried about all this, but for heaven's sake, constant discussion with others about how if he has video proof of anything, it will be because maybe you were passed out drunk and he came in and all this stuff about his bleeding rectum should never ever ever have gone anywhere outside the time when you folks were perhaps forced to listen to it. Instead it sounds like you've got people telling you this, and that, and what this one said, and that one said. And people claiming that Smith is telling them he is wanting to have sex with you again. Don't tolerate people who are determined to tell you things and want to keep this story alive. Hopefully he will find a new school, but even if he doesn't you can effectively keep your distance from the situation, even if you have to find new friends in order to do so. If Smith wants to become a stalker, your being interested in him in any way will be rewarding to him. Extinguish the situation by staying miles away from it and speaking of it to no one anymore, other than perhaps that attorney.
I am forced to at least be around Smith because he is part of the same club at me at college. I blocked him off of all social media, and I have cut off all of his friends as well. I’m trying to stay as distant as possible now because he’s just causing so much inconvenience it’s annoying. I think people don’t even want to be involved with this, so everyone is staying away from them as well. Thanks for the advice!

Thank you again to everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it. Posting this thread did calm me down a little. Hopefully everything works out in the future and I can avoid any trouble with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">