• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired For Whatever Reason

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe645

My Grandson, who lives and works in Nevada, started a job locally in January, 2024. The company ran their usual background and history checks. After 3 months of employment, his supervisor was so impressed with his work habits, that she wanted to train him for a promotion as Assistant Manager. A few days later, he got a notice of suspension pending a review of his background and then told he didn't fit the "Employee Standards" of the company. His background didn't change from the time he was hired to the suspension date. The company said they would give him a decision within 5 days. Nearly 10 days have passed and no decision. In the meantime he is not drawing pay and has financial obligations pending. What can he do? Entire matter stinks. I just found out they have made decision to let him go.

Last edited:

quincy

My Grandson, who lives and works in Nevada, started a job locally in January, 2024. The company ran their usual background and history checks. After 3 months of employment, his supervisor was so impressed with his work habits, that she wanted to train him for a promotion as Assistant Manager. A few days later, he got a notice of suspension pending a review of his background and then told he didn't fit the "Employee Standards" of the company. His background didn't change from the time he was hired to the suspension date. The company said they would give him a decision within 5 days. Nearly 10 days have passed and no decision. In the meantime he is not drawing pay and has financial obligations pending. What can he do? Entire matter stinks. I just found out they have made decision to let him go.
Did your grandson fail to disclose a criminal history that could make him ineligible for the job?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm sorry to have to write this but quite honestly, his best bet at this point is to operate on the assumption that he has been fired and start looking for another job. I would recommend that he apply for unemployment; no one has to tell him he's been let go before he can apply, and it might light a fire under the employer.

And before you ask, no, this will not a be a wrongful termination as defined by law. You can read my signature to find out why.

joe645

Did your grandson fail to disclose a criminal history that could make him ineligible for the job?
No, his criminal history and his background check was investigated prior to his employment. It wasn't until he was recommended for promotion that this entire matter transpired. It seems to me he was okay as a regular employee but didn't fit the standards of an assistant manager.

Eekamouse

Unless your grandson has a clean record and has been erroneously flagged as an ex-con, there's little recourse except to look for another job.

joe645

No, he doesn't have a clean record but the employer knew this prior to hiring him. Thanks for your input. Entire matter leaves a very bad taste in employer tactics.

commentator

Unfortunately, people believe they have a lot more rights and protections than they do. Until it happens, at which point you find that your only recourse for being terminated for almost everything is to file for unemployment compensation while seeking another job. That is not a needs based program, it is funded by the employer, and paid if they do not have a valid work related misconduct reason to terminate you. Agree with adjuster jack, it is a tactic to put you on "leave without pay," He should file as soon as possible and avidly begin to seek another job. Perhaps he will have a good reference from the supervisor who recommended him for promotion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">