• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dropping a Criminal Protective Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RequiemOfDemise

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Hi Im not sure where to put this, Im not too smart when it comes to legal stuff, and I dont know where to ask.

3 months ago my boyfriend was convicted of assualt by stragulation. I was the victim.
It was his first offense ever and first time being arrested. He was put on 4 years probation and a criminal protective order was put on him against me. The crime happened when we both lived in NC together. I moved after and I now live in Washingston state. I was wanting to contact him but I dont want him to get in trouble. Is there any way I could get the criminal protective order dropped or lessened to a no-harass order?
If so, what are the possibilities.

Thank you.

Silverplum

Hi Im not sure where to put this, Im not too smart when it comes to legal stuff, and I dont know where to ask.

3 months ago my boyfriend was convicted of assualt by stragulation. I was the victim.
It was his first offense ever and first time being arrested. He was put on 4 years probation and a criminal protective order was put on him against me. The crime happened when we both lived in NC together. I moved after and I now live in Washingston state. I was wanting to contact him but I dont want him to get in trouble. Is there any way I could get the criminal protective order dropped or lessened to a no-harass order?

Thank you.
I'm glad you've moved far away. :)

I don't want to help you, or anyone else, make it easier on a violent criminal. Sorry, but he tried to kill you and deserves all the trouble he gets.

But I wish you the best. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Thank you.
Please seek therapy to help you understand your perceived need to subject yourself to this sort of treatment.

Just Blue

Thank you.
Oh. With more information it is even more charming.

Please seek help for your mental disorder. Good luck to you.

st-kitts

Thank you.
You do not have the power to get the CPO dropped because it is part of the criminal case (the State versus him) rather than part of a civil case (you versus him). You could contact the DA that prosecuted the case, either directly or through the victim advocate with the courts, and see if they would be willing to have it modified. Given that strangulation is often a precursor to even more serious DV (like murder), they may not be receptive to the idea but you can ask.

You might want to do some reading about domestic violence and possibly pursue counseling to explore what it is you are seeking in terms of contact with him now. Many abuse victims return to their abuser multiple times, only to have the abuse escalate, before leaving for good. You might think - that won't happen to me - but there are often very powerful dynamics drawing a couple in an abusive relationship together. Knowledge of this dynamic is one of the main reasons that courts impose CPOs- to break a cycle that neither the abuser nor the victim are readily able to break on their own.

Take care of yourself and good luck!

sandyclaus

Thank you.
Why on earth would you even consider trying to get the Protective Order against this person dropped? And WHY would you want to get in contact with him again after all of this has happened?

I know of MANY psychopathic exes that travel to great lengths in order to seek revenge against the other partner for having them prosecuted in these type of situations. Just because you are in WA state and he is NC may not be enough of a distance between the two of you.

And, as others have suggested (although I might not refer it to as a mental disorder, per se), you seriously need counseling to deal with what this man did to you. If you have so little self-worth that you would be willing to even CONSIDER contacting or reconnecting with this man - ESPECIALLY so soon after the incident - you NEED someone to give you a reality check. Trust me - keep that Protective Order in place and stick to it. DO NOT contact him under any circumstances. There is NO possible good that could do for either of you.

Just Blue

Why on earth would you even consider trying to get the Protective Order against this person dropped? And WHY would you want to get in contact with him again after all of this has happened?

I know of MANY psychopathic exes that travel to great lengths in order to seek revenge against the other partner for having them prosecuted in these type of situations. Just because you are in WA state and he is NC may not be enough of a distance between the two of you.

And, as others have suggested (although I might not refer it to as a mental disorder, per se), you seriously need counseling to deal with what this man did to you. If you have so little self-worth that you would be willing to even CONSIDER contacting or reconnecting with this man - ESPECIALLY so soon after the incident - you NEED someone to give you a reality check. Trust me - keep that Protective Order in place and stick to it. DO NOT contact him under any circumstances. There is NO possible good that could do for either of you.
Yes. It is a Mental Disorder. Google up any DV website or Psychological site and see for yourself. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">