• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failed to Complete Terms of Probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aim9000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was arrested for grand theft in 2014. Spent 10 days in jail (time served), and was given 3 years summary probation. It was a first offense. And it was a landlord/tenant dispute, so it never should have gone that far but, oh well.

I recently applied for an expungement and just received a denial back saying "unpaid fees sent to collections, failed to complete terms of probation."

Any idea what fees would be involved with summary probation? There was no restitution because the lady failed to show at any hearing. I looked at all my paperwork at the time - studied it, and there were no fines to be paid that I could see (besides the bail bond guy, which I paid in full).

There was a previous traffic ticket that I failed to appear on and apparently had a warrant for at the time - which was lumped together with my arrest (and made my bail a lot higher $2,900).

Could it be fines from the traffic ticket that weren't paid? Isn't the ticket a separate matter completely? It had nothing to do with my arrest and resulting probation.

Thank you very much.

FlyingRon

Probations of any form in your state are subject to fees. Dig back through all that paper they gave you when you were convicted. It almost certainly is there. You're given a long time to make payments on it, but it has to be done. Contact the probation office where you were convicted and figure out what you have to pay. Once you do that, you can try again.

Aim9000

Probations of any form in your state are subject to fees. Dig back through all that paper they gave you when you were convicted. It almost certainly is there. You're given a long time to make payments on it, but it has to be done. Contact the probation office where you were convicted and figure out what you have to pay. Once you do that, you can try again.
Okay, will do.

Thank you very much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">