• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I messed up a plea bargain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

To be honest, I don't think that. As I said yesterday, jail, cons and I don't get along very well. I really hated those 22 days I did for the weed. I was trying to keep my punishment on this bar fight as low as I could. So, thinking back why I conveniently forgot my past, I probably thought it would help me if they didn't know it, and hadn't found it out on the first background check the night I was booked. Even told myself it was so long ago may not count anyway. Particularly after the lawyer mentioned I could serve what time I did get this time in the first-offender pod and even maybe weekends. I liked that, so I conveniently left stuff out. Now, I did make a call around this morning, got one lawyer's "para" on the phone. She said she'd check with her boss and he'd call me back if he thought it was worth a meeting, but while not putting words in his mouth she didn't sound like there was too much hope. Or so she sounded like.
If the third attorney's assessment of the facts is the same as the other attorneys you've spoken to, at least you know better where you stand with the plea deal.

Good luck.

mrkeith

Take your punishment and avoid the felony

I lived in Arkansas briefly and this doesn't sound out of the ordinary if there were documented injuries and if you have a record. Which, let's face it, you do! I assume this is a "Battery A 3rd," right?

I think the other guy Quincy was right to make sure you got another opinion, but you say you've talked to two lawyers and an assistant, so I'd just do it.

There's no way in hell you should be allowed to do the time in the First Offender Pod as - think about it - it really isn't fair to the real first timers. Sorry about the "Robust" thing those are no fun. The prosecution is probably jabbing you because you lied, or at least conveniently forgot, about your past. But at least in some jails they let you transfer back to general pop if you keep your nose clean there for awhile, and it is still better than a felony perjury case. Be safe in there and good luck.

Tough Decision

In other words, you openly and freely admit to committing perjury. Not smart.
Nope, freely and openly nothing. You musta missed the part about telling self maybe it was just as simple as long ago so didnt count and thats why maybe didnt show on first backround check when I was in holding cell. Me stupid and scared of jail? Yes, not smart! Felony perjry? Nope. Anyway, lawyer worked out the deal now and no perjry. None.

Tough Decision

If the third attorney's assessment of the facts is the same as the other attorneys you've spoken to, at least you know better where you stand with the plea deal.

Good luck.
That para from third lawyer left a voice mail not rude but pretty short: that her boss wasn't going to be setting up meeting with me. Meanwhile, first lawyer worked out the deal and even met with prosecuter and judge in judges chamber. Deal is approved though officially the jail will be somewhere between 90 and 150 days judge to decide exact amt in the court session. Movin prety fast now. Comin up the tenth, Weds. Then I guess it is like with the pot 10 yrs ago, straight to County from court. Already told my boss. He's lettin me work though Monday. Cant hold open the job I didnt expect that, but will consider me for openings after Im out. Thanks for suggesting third lawyer Quincy. I tried and think this is overkill for a stupid bar fight but guess I gotta take deal. Thanks again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Nope, freely and openly nothing. You musta missed the part about telling self maybe it was just as simple as long ago so didnt count and thats why maybe didnt show on first backround check when I was in holding cell. Me stupid and scared of jail? Yes, not smart! Felony perjry? Nope. Anyway, lawyer worked out the deal now and no perjry. None.
There, you did it again. You made a conscious decision to omit the information. I would have some sympathy for you had you honestly forgotten, but you didn't. You simply assumed that your perjury would go unnoticed. Now, you have TWICE openly and freely admitted to committing perjury.

quincy

That para from third lawyer left a voice mail not rude but pretty short: that her boss wasn't going to be setting up meeting with me. Meanwhile, first lawyer worked out the deal and even met with prosecuter and judge in judges chamber. Deal is approved though officially the jail will be somewhere between 90 and 150 days judge to decide exact amt in the court session. Movin prety fast now. Comin up the tenth, Weds. Then I guess it is like with the pot 10 yrs ago, straight to County from court. Already told my boss. He's lettin me work though Monday. Cant hold open the job I didnt expect that, but will consider me for openings after Im out. Thanks for suggesting third lawyer Quincy. I tried and think this is overkill for a stupid bar fight but guess I gotta take deal. Thanks again.
Your first lawyer appears to have worked hard for you. The plea deal offered appears to be the best possible outcome for you given the facts.

Good luck going forward, Tough Decision.

mrkeith

The new plea deal appears appropriate to your criminal history.
Yup. Didn't want to pile on the OP too hard, but first-offender sentences are for first offenders. This man is not. So duh, his punishment is going to be harsher. They found out about it, so I guess the system worked. Read his post carefully and he admits there were injuries, and it somehow was bad enough that the bar manager wanted to press charges. That tells me something right there. County jail for battery in Arkansas happens a lot. IMHO Xylene is correct: "appears appropriate."

quincy

Yup. Didn't want to pile on the OP too hard, but first-offender sentences are for first offenders. This man is not. So duh, his punishment is going to be harsher. They found out about it, so I guess the system worked. Read his post carefully and he admits there were injuries, and it somehow was bad enough that the bar manager wanted to press charges. That tells me something right there. County jail for battery in Arkansas happens a lot. IMHO Xylene is correct: "appears appropriate."
Well, whether appropriate or not, it is what it is.

Tough Decision

There, you did it again. You made a conscious decision to omit the information. I would have some sympathy for you had you honestly forgotten, but you didn't. You simply assumed that your perjury would go unnoticed. Now, you have TWICE openly and freely admitted to committing perjury.
Well, I guess youd think I got lucky then, but there was NO perjery case. Got out last week after 4 shi*ty months and am sitting here with an ankle GPS and 20 hours into my 300 with the county road dept service as part of my probatin (judge wouldnt accept the 250 in original plea bargin and insisted upping the service to at least 300, or more jail). Anyway - the news is my boss (who had to fire me when I got put inside) ran three sep background checks, state and federal as part of hiring me back. The battery and this punishment were on each report and two of them even showd the weed rap from 11 years ago. But NO felonies, which means he CAN hire me back when he has an openig. He says I would have been SOL with any felony including perjery. So my lawyr and the prosecuter honored the bargin (and my lawyr says he has a signed letter of final res, whatever that means). Your right Zigner I should have been more straight when I was arrested for the bar fight and thats real clear. Jail just now rubbed that in bad. But its over if I can just keep my probatin officer happy. Peace.

quincy

Well, I guess youd think I got lucky then, but there was NO perjery case. Got out last week after 4 shi*ty months and am sitting here with an ankle GPS and 20 hours into my 300 with the county road dept service as part of my probatin (judge wouldnt accept the 250 in original plea bargin and insisted upping the service to at least 300, or more jail). Anyway - the news is my boss (who had to fire me when I got put inside) ran three sep background checks, state and federal as part of hiring me back. The battery and this punishment were on each report and two of them even showd the weed rap from 11 years ago. But NO felonies, which means he CAN hire me back when he has an openig. He says I would have been SOL with any felony including perjery. So my lawyr and the prosecuter honored the bargin (and my lawyr says he has a signed letter of final res, whatever that means). Your right Zigner I should have been more straight when I was arrested for the bar fight and thats real clear. Jail just now rubbed that in bad. But its over if I can just keep my probatin officer happy. Peace.
Thank you for the update, Tough Decision.

It is nice that you have a former employer who is willing to hire you back when he can.

Good luck with your probation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">