• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parole officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sammi12

Sorry new at this. I'm on parole and my parole officer wants me to sign a release of info for an aoda assessment, one of the things she wants is my history on my medical stuff, I don't want her to have this, do I have to sign that release

PayrollHRGuy

What State are you in?

What was the crime you are on probation for? I'm guessing alcohol or drug related.

What do your terms of parole say about such things?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry new at this. I'm on parole and my parole officer wants me to sign a release of info for an aoda assessment, one of the things she wants is my history on my medical stuff, I don't want her to have this, do I have to sign that release
If you don't, it may violate the terms of your probation. Speak to your attorney who can review all of the terms of your probation and advise you appropriately.

quincy

Medical records cannot be released without your consent so you do not have to sign a medical release form. Whether not signing can be seen as a violation of the terms of your probation depends on the terms of your probation.

If it IS a term of your probation, I would contact your attorney and question it.

PayrollHRGuy

The AODA Assessment results requires a release to go to anyone other than the patient. I wonder if the OP is mistaking that authorization for a more general medical information release?

quincy

The AODA Assessment results requires a release to go to anyone other than the patient. I wonder if the OP is mistaking that authorization for a more general medical information release?
Right. A release by the patient is required. Why the release is necessary for probation is a question mark, however - and, on its face, it seems to be an unreasonable invasion of the probationer's privacy.

PayrollHRGuy

First let us correct some wording. The OP said he was on PAROLE not probation.

The AODA Assessment that is to be given to the PO is very common in parole and probation for drug and alcohol convictions and the patient must give a medical release for it to be given to the PO. My bet is that is all that was requested of the OP.

quincy

We have a probation officer who is a member of this forum. I am interested in comments from the perspective of an officer charged with handling probationers/parolees. I will send off a private message.

Indiana Filer

The medical releases we use in our Probation Department are so that we can get the results of the evaluation. It's not so that we can find out whether someone is diabetic, had their tonsils removed, etc. The assessor isn't going to tell us all of that, unless it is pertinent to the substance evaluation or therapies that are recommended.

If the client does not sign the release, the assessor cannot tell us what services are recommended for the client from the assessment, or if the client is compliant with the recommended services. You don't sign the release, we cannot know if you're complying, and that will possibly lead to the filing of a probation revocation or some sort of sanction hearing. Our probation terms say the probationer has to sign the releases to give us information

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
"Client" seems like a very interesting term to use for someone on probation. I don't think I've heard that one before lol.

Indiana Filer

"Client" seems like a very interesting term to use for someone on probation. I don't think I've heard that one before lol.
That's what we call them in our office. I call my juvenile clients "my kids." Sometimes I get weird looks when I say things like, "One of my kids stole a car the other day," or "One of my kids keep testing positive for Xanax."

quincy

The medical releases we use in our Probation Department are so that we can get the results of the evaluation. It's not so that we can find out whether someone is diabetic, had their tonsils removed, etc. The assessor isn't going to tell us all of that, unless it is pertinent to the substance evaluation or therapies that are recommended.

If the client does not sign the release, the assessor cannot tell us what services are recommended for the client from the assessment, or if the client is compliant with the recommended services. You don't sign the release, we cannot know if you're complying, and that will possibly lead to the filing of a probation revocation or some sort of sanction hearing. Our probation terms say the probationer has to sign the releases to give us information
The release is certainly not as invasive as Sammi12 made it sound or as invasive as I feared. I can understand its need.

Thank you, Indiana Filer. I appreciate you taking some time away from your kids to check this thread. :)

Last edited:

LdiJ

That's what we call them in our office. I call my juvenile clients "my kids." Sometimes I get weird looks when I say things like, "One of my kids stole a car the other day," or "One of my kids keep testing positive for Xanax."
To me, calling them clients simply gives them a small amount of respect...a bit of human decency. I think that goes along with the fact that the best probation officers help their "clients" succeed rather than sitting back and watching them fail.

quincy

To me, calling them clients simply gives them a small amount of respect...a bit of human decency. I think that goes along with the fact that the best probation officers help their "clients" succeed rather than sitting back and watching them fail.
I agree with this. ^^^

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">