• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dhmissouri1031

Would someone’s Probation Officer find out about infraction citations. If someone got a C&I but didn’t get arrested or anything, gotta ticket and got let go, will their PO find out on their own about it? Do they have to be told? If this person has a court date does that make a difference?

quincy

Would someone’s Probation Officer find out about infraction citations. If someone got a C&I but didn’t get arrested or anything, gotta ticket and got let go, will their PO find out on their own about it? Do they have to be told? If this person has a court date does that make a difference?
What is the name of your state, Dhmissouri1031? Missouri, perhaps?

Someone who is on probation is required to report to his probation officer all contacts they have with law enforcement - and it is s good bet the probation officer will learn about any offenses not reported.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state, Dhmissouri1031? Missouri, perhaps?

Someone who is on probation is required to report to his probation officer all contacts they have with law enforcement - and it is s good bet the probation officer will learn about any offenses not reported.
I usually run a report from the state database on each of my clients every so often, just to make sure I know stuff, in case they don't disclose. I always tell them it's better for me to hear it from them than for me to find out by other methods.

If it's just an infraction, and not a new criminal offense, it wouldn't be a big deal to me, as long as the ticket gets paid.

quincy

I usually run a report from the state database on each of my clients every so often, just to make sure I know stuff, in case they don't disclose. I always tell them it's better for me to hear it from them than for me to find out by other methods.

If it's just an infraction, and not a new criminal offense, it wouldn't be a big deal to me, as long as the ticket gets paid.
C&I usually stands for careless and imprudent driving.

At least in Missouri (I don't know what state is involved here), C&I can be charged under a local ordinance with a fine and the possibility of jail time, or under state law as a Class B misdemeanor. It sounds like Dhmissouri might have been ticketed under a local ordinance.

More facts might be nice to determine better how likely a failure to report the offense will be viewed by the probation officer (e.g., what Dh is on probation for) but I think most probation officers look at it exactly as you do, Indiana Filer. It is better to tell the probation officer about an offense than to have the probation officer find out about it in another way.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">