• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

refusal to send proof of debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scottnlorrijo

What is the name of your state? WA, I have recently requested proof of a debt that plagues my credit report from a collection agency,who still contends that they are not required to provide copies of original documentation of the debt proving it is mine. Who can iI talk to to have this debt removed from my credit report?Also, I have already sent the dispute letters out to the 3 big agencies and I am wondering if they need copies of the original documents as proof or if they can simply take a printout of somthing that says it is valid.

Last edited:

JETX

First, the collection agency is not required to provide ORIGINALS of the validation, only a copy.

Second, if you are trying to get your credit report fixed, you are going after the wrong party... send a letter to the reporting credit agency with YOUR documentation of the invalidity of the debt. Ask them to investigate your claim and if found accurate, they are REQUIRED to correct the report. Further, even if the debt is confirmed, you are allowed to post your comments to the file and they must give that out with any requests.

These rights are given to you in the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) which can be found at http://www.ftc.gov/.

C

CaliCat

Scott did say copies of originals.

Hal, I think he's trying to prove the validity of the debt by their refusal to show him proof of it to begin with.

JETX

My error, a re-read of the original post shows that it was clearly a request for COPIES. Mea Culpa!!

However, the rest of my post stands.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">