• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

counterfeit cashier's check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twstd4good

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am selling a car on several websites. A buyer from w. africa said he had a client in the states that owed him a refund for goods. he had the client send me a cashiers check for more than the purchase price, and asked me to send remainder to his shipper to get the car. After cashing, and sending to shipper, he didn't want car, wanted me to send more of money. I thought this was fishy so I didn't, bank now says that check was counterfeit, and that I owe the total. I don't have the amount that was sent to shipper. What are my options?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

twstd4good said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am selling a car on several websites. A buyer from w. africa said he had a client in the states that owed him a refund for goods. he had the client send me a cashiers check for more than the purchase price, and asked me to send remainder to his shipper to get the car. After cashing, and sending to shipper, he didn't want car, wanted me to send more of money. I thought this was fishy so I didn't, bank now says that check was counterfeit, and that I owe the total. I don't have the amount that was sent to shipper. What are my options?

My response:

You've been screwed, blued and tattooed!

These scammers are all over the Internet and also send out e-mail with similar scams.

Let me guess, the guy was from New Guinea, and gave some sob story to you.

You owe the bank the money because until that check clears, and funds are received by the bank, you are what is known as the "holder in due course."

IAAL

T

twstd4good

But does that mean I have no chance for recourse? Are there any possible options? The guy was from Nigeria. Can the address the $$ was wired to be investigated? how can I protect myself and still sell the car? Other prospective buyers will sometimes wish to use cashiers checks as well.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

twstd4good said:
"But does that mean I have no chance for recourse?"

==================================

My response:

I guess you either didn't read or you didn't understand my first sentence of my first response to you.

The Africans, from Nigeria and other African countries, have been running this and similar scams for years. Their governments are corrupt. And because of "cornhuskers" like you, who can't see a scam coming because your greedy eyes are bigger than your good common senses, cause the scammers and the scams like this to continue.

Didn't it ever occur to you to ask yourself, who in the world would really want a common car like yours when there are millions of them around the world? Why would someone from Africa want YOUR particular car?

Well, as the old saying goes, "There's a sucker born every minute".

This was your "minute."

IAAL

T

twstd4good

Thank you for your candor, even if slightly on the rude side. And to answer your question the car I am selling is a very rare antique in pristene condition. I will take your bitter lesson to heart in the future though, even us poor cornhuskers can be lernt a thing or two. I would graciously like to ask for no more of your help though sir. . . however kindly intented. And I'm sure that Mr. Barnum had more than my ignorance in mind before he was so freely quoted around the world. Ever been to the circus?

Last edited:
C

CaliCat

Your first clue should have been that the "buyer" wanted cash back from another check. It's basically too complicated to be legal. It's easy to understand, yes, but have you ever read the backs of those things? About accepting them only from people you know because you are liable? When I sell online I always go to check cashing places or places where they only give you money AFTER verifying the validity of it. And I never send until the cash is legally in my hands. If I deposit, I wait until it's cleared. Period. Sorry, but with international things like this, you lost out.

T

twstd4good

Thanx, The FBI is currently tracking the people. . . and I have invested the money I had left and have alredy recouped some of my loss. . . the bank is awfully upset though. I told them they wouldn't see a dime till a federal judge had passed a decision. I also had another one come through that the bank VERIFIED, held it for three days, cashed it for me, then 10 days later came back for their money. . . so even after funds are verified, there is no sure way to accept these cashier's checks.

Jaduu

Counterfeit check scheme

I totally disagree with your comments about greed being the reason why people are being scammed. What planet do you live on? Any normal person with above average intelligence will fall for this scam because of what the bank told them. If the bank tells you that the check has cleared, one cannot interpret that to mean anything else other than the check has cleared and the money has physically been received in the account, and that is the reason why it is availabe to you. "The check has cleared' cannot be intepreted to mean that the bank is 'fronting' you the money before they have received it." The bank should be liable for any misrepresenatations they made to you, "holder in due course" or not. It is because they have not been made to be responsible for this that this scam still continues to be highly successful. The day they are made responsible for returned checks is the day they will stop making money available to people that they have not received yet. That my, friend, is where the problem lies.

Check yourself before you go insulting innocent people like that.

Jaduu -- California.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
twstd4good said:
"But does that mean I have no chance for recourse?"

==================================

My response:

I guess you either didn't read or you didn't understand my first sentence of my first response to you.

The Africans, from Nigeria and other African countries, have been running this and similar scams for years. Their governments are corrupt. And because of "cornhuskers" like you, who can't see a scam coming because your greedy eyes are bigger than your good common senses, cause the scammers and the scams like this to continue.

Didn't it ever occur to you to ask yourself, who in the world would really want a common car like yours when there are millions of them around the world? Why would someone from Africa want YOUR particular car?

Well, as the old saying goes, "There's a sucker born every minute".

This was your "minute."

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Jaduu said:
I totally disagree with your comments about greed being the reason why people are being scammed. What planet do you live on? Any normal person with above average intelligence will fall for this scam because of what the bank told them. If the bank tells you that the check has cleared, one cannot interpret that to mean anything else other than the check has cleared and the money has physically been received in the account, and that is the reason why it is availabe to you. "The check has cleared' cannot be intepreted to mean that the bank is 'fronting' you the money before they have received it." The bank should be liable for any misrepresenatations they made to you, "holder in due course" or not. It is because they have not been made to be responsible for this that this scam still continues to be highly successful. The day they are made responsible for returned checks is the day they will stop making money available to people that they have not received yet. That my, friend, is where the problem lies.

Check yourself before you go insulting innocent people like that.

Jaduu -- California.

My response:

Oh, I know you disagree. You only disagree because you don't like the law. I can't help it if you don't like, or disagree with, the Uniform Commercial Code.

It just breaks my heart.

Well, tough crap!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">