• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dumpster treasures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jbssisso

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My teen son and his friend were told about electronics (by the store manager) that were being thrown out in the dumpster because the store is going out of buisness. They have "raided" the dumpster twice. THe first time many of the items did not work and the others had minor flaws but did work. At that first visit a local policeman was there and asked them if they were having fun. The second time they were not first the another man was pulling out wiht a truck load. I'm still not comfortable with this whole thing. Is it legal to retrieve items once they are in the dumpster in the state of Maryland???

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jbssisso said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

My teen son and his friend were told about electronics (by the store manager) that were being thrown out in the dumpster because the store is going out of buisness. They have "raided" the dumpster twice. THe first time many of the items did not work and the others had minor flaws but did work. At that first visit a local policeman was there and asked them if they were having fun. The second time they were not first the another man was pulling out wiht a truck load. I'm still not comfortable with this whole thing. Is it legal to retrieve items once they are in the dumpster in the state of Maryland???

My response:

Only, and I emphasize, ONLY, if the dumpster is next to a single-wide trailer, with some guy on the porch playing a banjo, wearing a straw hat and bib overalls. Oh, wait, you're in Maryland. For some reason when I hear the word "dumpster", I immediately think of Georgia, Louisianna, Tennessee, etc. Nevermind.

Once something is thrown away, the original owner has relinquished ownership, and it's up for grabs. Now, however, the issue becomes one of "trespass". Remember, the dumpster is still on private property, and the property owner has not given your son permission to be on the property for this purpose.

Have your son get a quick note of permission in writing. That way, if the cops stop him, he can whip out that note.

IAAL

J

jbssisso

That first part gave me a good chuckle. The dumpster is in a public parking lot and after checking there are no signs that state "no trespassing or no lottering" or anthing like that. The parking is used for multiple businesses and for park and ride customers of the city/county light rail. Does that make a difference? Will a note from the owner of just that manager do since the dumster is used by multiple businesses and the park and ride trash.
Tahnks for your quick response.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I'm glad I gave you a chuckle, but seriously, dumpsters are a BIG part of daily life in the deep South. They're like second homes. Some look surprisingly just like trailers - - you'd swear they were dumpsters!

Anyway, a note from the manager should be enough.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TOP 10 Things People Say When They Go Dumpster-Diving - -

NUMBER 10: "Can you believe I found all this ice cream in a dumpster?"

NUMBER 9: "Maybe I can use all these hair cuttings to stuff my bra."

NUMBER 8: "Oh my gosh! Did you see the size of that cockroach?"

NUMBER 7: "I do it because it attracts them white trash babes!"

NUMBER 6: "It looks just like Hawaii in here, if you close your eyes."

NUMBER 5: "Lemme guess - - Old Spice?"

NUMBER 4: "I can't control my bladder . . . you can get in now."

NUMBER 3: "You know, sometimes you just want to smell like a dumpster."

NUMBER 2: Holding up an old piece of electronics, he says, "It's the perfect gift for . . . uh . . . it's really hard to say."

AND NOW, the NUMBER ONE Thing People Say When They Go Dumpster-Diving - -

"IT'S LUNCH TIME!"

IAAL

Seanscott

Hi IAAL - I just had to respond.

At one of our company pitch-in picnics, an employee brought a case of mayonnaise and offered free jars to anybody who would like one. When asked how he came across such a great deal, he replied "You'd be suprised what you can find in the IGA dumpster".

Seems the whole family would go out "dumpster diving" as a family outing every Saturday morning. And yes, they live in a trailer.

The employee's wife was hurt that nobody ate the sandwiches she brought to the picnic, while all the other food was devoured!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">