• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pet Cat Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MomInNE

What is the name of your state?NE

Don't know where else to post this...

In our city pet cats are allowed to be at large( roam freely)
There are about 6 cats in our neighbor hood that do so.
One of the neighbors has started trapping the cats and turning them into the humane society as strays. Even though they are collared and licensed.
The traps are metal box traps in which he puts chicken in them.
The cats would normally not go into there yard, but the chicken attracts them to their yard.
Each time the cats get turned in there is a fines to get them out, each time it doubles.
Don't you need a permit to trap?

Is there anything we can do to stop this trapping and getting the cats by baiting???

The cats do not harm anything...in fact the keep the mice away...we live by a farm and a forest area.
Please Help!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

divgradcurl

What does your local animal control officer have to say about this? This question is one of specific local laws and regulations -- you will get the best answers from asking local authorities.

gobonas99

If you want to keep your cats from being trapped, don't let them go outside. It is a proven fact that indoor cats are at less risk for disease and injury, have fewer overall health problems and live longer than cats that are allowed outdoors. Be a responsible cat owner and keep them INDOORS. :)

Going to have to agree with the last poster, outdoor cats kill hundreds of thousands of birds a year. Just a few cats can wipe out all birds in a neighborhood in a matter of months, thus dramatically increasing the insect population in a given area. Check out http://www.abcbirds.org/cats/ for more info.

ShyCat

Sorry, I'm having a little mental disconnect here....

"In our city pet cats are allowed to be at large( roam freely)" seems inconsistent with "Each time the cats get turned in there is a fines to get them out, each time it doubles".

Why would there be fines if it's "allowed"? I'd think escalating fines are a clear indication that something is NOT allowed and a real good reason to STOP.

MomInNE

???

SHYCAT~ that's What I'm trying to figure out. Why there is a fine...
The only thing I can figure out is that the cats are on his property and doesn't want them there. Which they wouldn't be there if her didn't have chicken in his traps.
The Humane sociey ( which is our animal control) are the ones saying they will pick up the cat if called. They are making money ...so????

The reason everyone has outside cats in our neighborhood is that we live on the out skirts of a suburb.
There is a wooded area behind our back fence line and a farm and corn fields at the end of the street. The outdoor cats keep mice problem down.

divgradcurl

You need to contact your local city hall or animal control or something and find out exactly what the laws are in your local area. "Cats are legally allowed to roam free" is inconsistent with a "fine" for retrieving you cat. Now, if the "fine" isn't a "fine" but is instead a "fee" that animal control collects to defray their costs in picking up a trapped animal, then that's different. You need to find out if it is legal or not, and if it is a "fine" or a "fee."

If it's a fine, that would mean that letting your cats run around IS illegal -- no matter how useful you might find it.

Whether or not it is legal for you to let your cats run around really has NO bearing on what your neighbor is doing. Your neighbor has a right to keep YOUR property -- and yes, your cat is your property -- from trespassing onto his property. I realize that you can't train a cat not to go onto someone else's property, but it is your responsibility to keep your cats off of his property if he is not willing to allow them.

Have you actually talked to your neighbor about things?

MomInNE

oops

Sorry It is a fee not a fine to get your cat out of humane society...there's a FINE if you don't have your cat liscenced,
the neighbor is rude and doesn't answer the dorr and won't talk.
they are not nice people.

N

nicolia

Ummmmmm

Why not get your cat licensed? It is technically illegal to own a pet and not have it licensed.

Have you followed anyone's advise and asked your local authorities about trapping laws?

At least this guy isn't leaving anti-freeze out for your cat to drink...

BelizeBreeze

It is technically illegal to own a pet and not have it licensed.
Where in the HELL did you come up with that? I guess I should license all 32 cats, two dogs and three horses, not to mention the camel, heron and coyote.

You Are Guilty

BelizeBreeze said:
Where in the HELL did you come up with that? I guess I should license all 32 cats, two dogs and three horses, not to mention the camel, heron and coyote.
Most cities require some sort of pet licensing, although I've never seen it actually enforced unless in the case of a stray. It does appear to be a local rule rather than state law though.

Pet License/I.D. Tags: Sec. 6-09 It is the duty of the owner or other person keeping a dog or cat to ensure that the dog or cat bears such tag attached to a collar or harness worn at all times or, in the case of a cat, have an I.D. microchip implanted.
And I hope you're not a NE resident with all your dog and cat friends, 'cause
Sec. 6-144 A permit is required for any person who shall own, keep, harbor or maintain four (4) or more dogs but no more than five (5) dogs total and/or six (6) or more cats but no more than eight (8) total dogs and cats four (4) months of age or older. An initial inspection fee of $100.00 shall be paid at the time of application. In addition, an annual permit fee of $50.00 shall be paid by the applicant. Such permit shall allow the applicant to pursue the avocation for a period of one (1) year. Being found guilty, in a court of law, of any violation of this chapter, may constitute sufficient cause for revocation of such permit.
Luckily, sheep, hedghogs, camels (bactrian and dromedary), ladybugs, dolphins, buffalo, dragonflies and jellyfish appear to be exempt.

MomInNE

nicolia said:
Why not get your cat licensed? It is technically illegal to own a pet and not have it licensed.

Have you followed anyone's advise and asked your local authorities about trapping laws?

At least this guy isn't leaving anti-freeze out for your cat to drink...

My cat is licensed.. with collar and license on at all times.
I called about trapping laws and the national game and parks do don't deal with domestic cats...( trapping of)
I've called my uncle who is a retired police officer for the city next to ours . I'm waiting to hear back from him.

The neighbors now have their garage opened enough for a cat to get inside the garage..the trap is inside their garage now. I guess a pissed off neighbor or some kids( ????) took off with one of their traps.
The garage isn't open far enough for a person to get in...But the summers are very hot here.. if a cat get trapped in their hot garage with no water for a period of time..isn't that grounds for animal abuse???
remember they are baiting the trap with chicken..so the cats are attracted to the smell and will go into the garage and get trapped.

If the guy left anti freeze out...I'm sure someone would most likely return the favor for his dog. Not saying its right and I would never do this .but the neighbors with cats are very mad at this couple.

gobonas99

Sorry to post so late, I was away on vacation last week.

MomInNE - If you are concerned about your cats being trapped, the answer is pure and simple: DO NOT LET THEM GO OUTSIDE.

I will reiterate my previous post:

If you want to keep your cats from being trapped, don't let them go outside. It is a proven fact that indoor cats are at less risk for disease and injury, have fewer overall health problems and live longer than cats that are allowed outdoors.

Be a responsible cat owner and keep them INDOORS.

My husband and I own 2 cats, and we live in a suburb with a large open field/wooded area across the street, and we will NEVER let either one of our cats out of the house, unless they are secured on a harness or are in a carrier.

There are PLENTY of stray and feral cats in the world to "keep the mice problem down". I promise, there won't be a surge in mice if you keep your cats indoors - and they'll live longer. :)

N

nicolia

Why fines?

If you have your cat licensed...why are you getting fined?

The answer is simple here...you need to come to an agreement with your neighbors, or keep your cats inside.

Your neighbor is doing nothing wrong. He can simply say that he is attempting to trap rats.

Again, be glad he hasn't put out anti-freeze or rat bait (which cats are sometimes drawn to as well.)

You can always sue your neighbor in small claims court, although it would be a waste of time. Perhaps you can try to prove that your neighbor should know the cat is yours due to the collar tags and should not be calling the city to pick it up....again probaby a waste of time, but at least you'd show that you mean business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">