• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Destruction of tenant property, what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amykrazy

What is the name of your state? California
I was renting a house from a friend, all contracts were verbal. After living there over a year, gave 30 days notice (verbal) that I was moving and would turn over keys on 08/10/04. On weekend of move -08/08-09/04, owners entered house and removed, maliciously damaged and threw out all my remaining items, including LIVE fish that were in a fish tank still plugged into the wall. Shoes and clothing were destroyed with scissors or knives, things were broken in half, thrown in driveway and unable to recover based on condition. Called police when returning to house on 08/09/04 to remove rest of things because saw that someone was in the house, police returned with me and wrote report on 'vandalism' or similar (have not seen final report yet). Owners were 'crazy' and laughing at me, saying I had to pay for new this and that which was not previously damaged when I left house on moving day (08/07). Big shock to me, I thought they were friends and 'normal' - apparently having a psychotic break of some sort or on drugs... I have no idea. I owe them 10 days of rent, but have not paid because of this incident. I do not know what to do. Should I sue them over my vandalized property (I took some pictures) or wait for them to sue me over whatever false accusations they come up with? Help! Thanks, Amy

Last edited:

cmorris

amykrazy said:
I owe them 10 days of rent, but have not paid because of this incident. I do not know what to do. Should I sue them over my vandalized property (I took some pictures) or wait for them to sue me over whatever false accusations they come up with? Help! Thanks, Amy
I would pay the 10 days rent then sue them FIRST. By paying what you owe, you can only look good (if everything is the truth). Hope you have evidence.

A

amykrazy

its true!!

cmorris said:
I would pay the 10 days rent then sue them FIRST. By paying what you owe, you can only look good (if everything is the truth). Hope you have evidence.
Everything I have written is true. I am just as shocked as anyone would be in this situation. Part of me wants to just move on, but the other part is so pissed off, because that was my stuff! I left the stuff in the house to move in my car so that it would not get trashed in the moving truck... looks like that idea didn't work out. If I knew they were not going to try to sue me over made up stuff then I would just let it go and avoid the confrontation, but I cannot really predict what these people will do next given the last weekend's worth of events. I have evidence, I even went back and pulled some dirty ripped clothes out of the dumpster they ordered to haul off my stuff they had trashed, took pictures and also have the police report and witnesses from moving day. What else would I need? Sigh.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">