• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

District Lied to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

josmatt22

What is the name of your state?:mad: :mad: :mad: What is the name of your state?Texas
January 31 my son was attacked by a fellow student at a party. He was being Threatened by several students in school and out of school.Basically being Bullied. The boys brought stun guns in to school and were not punished.
He had a knee injury and was imobilized under Drs. Care. The threats continued while he was home. He was excused from school. The school Counselor told me to take him out of the school. I went to the intake center and they told me to there was no room in the middle
schools exept 1 that was 100% hispanic and that would be not a good situation for him. He had 2 six weeks left. We decided to home
school. The counselors told me that all I needed to do was bring home school grades and they would register him. I was going to have surgery so I contacted the school to make sure he was pre registered. He was not and somehow I got a call to test him.I was called on Friday afternoon and Monday he was scheduled to test. He had no study guides. He did bad. He told me that he did not remember learning any of that at Travis or home school.Next thing they wanted to test him for ADD.They did and they told me to put him on Medication and they would retest in August.No study guides were given to me. I tried for weeks to get something. The testing lady
finally called me and told me it was the TEKS. I search for Teks and found 1 for science.A week later I was called buy an asst super.He would be taking the Texas Tech test.It gives a child 60 days to study and you have
to read books. $250.He was supposed to Test Tuesday, I went to the
school and they did not have him down for testing and I saw his 8th grade Counselor. She told me not to listen to the Testing Lady and to take
his grades from School and Homeschool and just register him. I went to the High School and they told me the same thing twice. They called me
to come register him. I went and was refused due to home school is not real school and he needed to be tested. I called the other 2 high schools and
They have been registering home school children and unaccredited privite schools. I went to an Asst. Superintendent and he is getting back to me.
Texas Education assc. told me to get a lawyer. Texas law states every home school is a privite school.
The asst. Super. admitted there were many inconsistencies in their information that was given to me. They only accept Accredited Home schools. This was not told to me. They never had me sign and intent to Homeschool and It states that the MAY test. Not it is Mandatory.
They gace him a choice to send him to Middle school full time and study for
the Test. Or Sign the intent to homeschool and let him study for the test.
He does not want to take the test. The district now is meeting to implement
the homeschool policies which I still have not seen because of all my problems. I am so mad. I have called Attorneys and they have had dealings
with the district and do not want to have bad terms with them.
If anybody can help me I need it badly.
Ann

Shay-Pari'e

What is the name of your state?Texas
January 31 my son was attacked by a fellow student at a party. He was being Threatened by several students in school and out of school.Basically being Bullied. The boys brought stun guns in to school and were not punished.
He had a knee injury and was imobilized under Drs. Care. The threats continued while he was home. He was excused from school. The school Counselor told me to take him out of the school. A school counselor cannot without the principal, make you take your child out of school for no reason.

I went to the intake center and they told me to there was no room in the middle
schools exept 1 that was 100% hispanic and that would be not a good situation for him. He had 2 six weeks left. We decided to home
school. Ok, so you had to go independent studies in the middle of the year for a reason you are not clearly stating.

The counselors told me that all I needed to do was bring home school grades and they would register him. I was going to have surgery so I contacted the school to make sure he was pre registered. He was not and somehow I got a call to test him. Kids in independent study are required to test and pass before enrollment.

I was called on Friday afternoon and Monday he was scheduled to test. He had no study guides. Who's fault is that? Come on mom, you knew he was doing independent study, and I'm sure you were told what the procedure was. There is no way you walked out of that school, taking your son out without an educational plan.

. He did bad. He told me that he did not remember learning any of that at Travis or home school.Next thing they wanted to test him for ADD.They did and they told me to put him on Medication and they would retest in August. Schools do not test for ADD, doctor's do. More than likely they requested his testing before being allowed to enroll in the public school.

No study guides were given to me. I tried for weeks to get something. The testing lady
finally called me and told me it was the TEKS. I search for Teks and found 1 for science. You must mean "Tech", and if you only found one, then you are not home schooling your child.

A week later I was called buy an asst super.He would be taking the Texas Tech test.It gives a child 60 days to study and you have
to read books. No kidding?

$250.He was supposed to Test Tuesday, I went to the
school and they did not have him down for testing and I saw his 8th grade Counselor. Unless your son is out of district, you should not be paying. This sounds like summer school clases, and in that case in alot of states there is a fee for summer school.

She told me not to listen to the Testing Lady and to take
his grades from School and Homeschool and just register him. What grades?, you only had his Science book.

I went to the High School and they told me the same thing twice. They called me
to come register him. I went and was refused due to home school is not real school and he needed to be tested. Wrong, you failed at the independent study plan.

I called the other 2 high schools and
They have been registering home school children and unaccredited privite schools. I'm sure they do when the student meet's the independent study obligation.

district right I went to an Asst. Superintendent and he is getting back to me.
Texas Education assc. told me to get a lawyer. Texas law states every home school is a privite school. That may be, but you are trying to enroll him back in public school, and they have guidelines to follow for enrollment.

The asst. Super. admitted there were many inconsistencies in their information that was given to me. I find that true, between you and the school and your son's records, I can see that happening

They only accept Accredited Home schools. This was not told to me. They never had me sign and intent to Homeschool and It states that the MAY test. Not it is Mandatory. So you just casually walked of campus with your son, with no educational plan?

They gace him a choice to send him to Middle school full time and study for
the Test. Or Sign the intent to homeschool and let him study for the test.
He does not want to take the test. To bad, he takes the test, and many more, to become a productive educated member of society.

the homeschool policies which I still have not seen because of all my problems. You saw the independent study policies the second your son went off campus into a different educational agenda.
I am so mad. I have called Attorneys and they have had dealings
with the district and do not want to have bad terms with them. Gee you think?

If anybody can help me I need it badly. I think your son needs it worse than you. Ann[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

josmatt22

Answer

There were no policies ever given to me. There was no place to put him in.
They admit to wrong doing and they never had me sign an intent
to home school or gave me any information on homeschooling. The testing procter tole me to put him on meds because he is ADD.
I was given no information. They did not want to be bothered.
So read your Forbes and not between the lines.

rmet4nzkx

It sounds like OP has some cognition problems, likely same are passed to offspring therefore afore mentioned outcome.

Happy Trails

josmatt22 said:
There were no policies ever given to me.

**It is not the responsibility of the public school system to educate you on how to legally home school. If you choose to do this you have to be sure of Texas home schooling laws.

**Compliance to these requirements is the ultimate responsibility of the home schooling parent.

**In some cases, laws governing home schooling in a particular state may be vague or restrictive. This may necessitate you to request clarification from your local governing agency or school district.

There was no place to put him in.

**I'm not clear on what you mean by that.

They admit to wrong doing and they never had me sign an intent
to home school or gave me any information on homeschooling.

**Again on what aspect? The bullying? That they never had you sign anything?

** It's your responsibility to send a letter to the superintendent of your District and notify him of your intent to home school. They may not have felt it neccesary since it was so close to the end of the school year and you had verbally expressed it to them.

The testing procter tole me to put him on meds because he is ADD.
I was given no information.

**They cannot prescribe meds for him, you have to go see your doctor for that.

They did not want to be bothered.

**I'm sure they felt they did all they deemed necessary.

**I think you need to get some help from other home schooling families in your area. They could be of great assistance to you.

**Home schools must be conducted in a bona fide manner, using a written curriculum consisting of reading, spelling, grammar, math and a course in good citizenship. This when followed by the law is considered a private school. No other requirements apply.

Article 7, section 2 of the Texas Constitution only authorizes the legislature to establish and maintain public education, not private or parochial education.

**You would be private. It's your responsibility as the parent to take all appropriate action so you will be in compliance. This would include proof that you have a curriculum that would include all the appropriate subjects required by law etc...

**There are several homeshooling curricums available. Search on the web.

**If this seems too difficult for you to take on; there are video courses or DVD courses that may assist you. You pay for them of course. You maybe able to purchase used material from others in your area. In some states they allow you a partial tax refund on the costs that you incur, so keep records of your expenses. Contact people in your area who already know this info.

**Good luck!!!!

Last edited:

josmatt22

School Policy

Here is the Policy
My question is if he is enrolled in an Accredited School will they take him???
ACCREDITED SCHOOLS
Students entering a District school from accredited public, private, or parochial schools after grade 1 shall provide evidence of prior schooling outside the District. They shall be placed initially at the grade level reached elsewhere, pending observation by the classroom teacher, guidance personnel, and the principal. On the basis of these observations and results of tests that may be administered by appropriate District personnel, the principal shall determine the final grade placement.
For the purposes of this policy, "accredited" shall be defined as accreditation by TEA, an equivalent agency from another state, or an accrediting association recognized by the Commissioner of Education.

NONACCREDITED SCHOOLS
Students entering a District school from nonaccredited public, private, or parochial schools, including homeschools, shall be placed initially at the discretion of the principal, pending observation by classroom teachers, guidance personnel, and the principal. Criteria for placement may include:
Scores on achievement tests, which may be administered by appropriate District personnel.
Recommendation of the sending school.
Prior academic record.
Chronological age and social and emotional development of the student.
Other criteria deemed appropriate by the principal
e school Policy

rmet4nzkx

Your son was not enrolled in an accredited school so your question does not make any sense, you need to get your son to grade level and abide by the rules. Maybe you can enroll him in an accredited private school apparently you are not capable of providing adequate instruction in home schooling or your son is not able to learn because of his untreated ADD, please take him to a psychiatrist for evaluation, then comply with the school districts requirements. Please remember the word MAY and how it is used is up to the school district not you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
A simple Yahoo search of "Texas homeschooling requirements" yields a plethora of information. For example http://www.homeschoolingrequirements.com/TX.htm . Now, this states that there's no state regulation, but there ARE requirements:

Texas Curriculum Homeschooling Requirements: Any written curriculum that from any source (including a video or computer) that covers the five basic subjects: reading, spelling, grammar, math, and good citizenship.
Did you meet those requirements? That's likely where your problem is.

This http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/edtoc.html is the Texas Homeschool Code. You might want to study it.

josmatt22

Charter School

Texas
I used Alpha Omega Switched on School which is all computer based learning. He took the second semester and passed A's and B's.
A's and B's in the first 4 six weeks of public school.
I have enrolled him in a Charter School and is making high B's the first week.
No medicine.
They enrolled him as a Freshman and did not want to make him take 8th
grade over again.
Now the school district said I can enroll him because he is in accredited
charter school. It is the largest Charter School in the State of Texas.
Ann

rmet4nzkx

What a waste of everyone's time and effort your thread has been when you have laready done just what I suggested, put him in an accredited school. You have him in an accredited charter school so why all the hoopla? Do you think you are going to be able to make a lot of money from a lawsuit or something because your son couldn't pass the test? Still get him evaluater for ADD/ADHD that is in his best interet. Please think before you talk or write, you may be less confused that way.

josmatt22

Waste of time

Texas
I posted this message before I even knew about this school and I met with the asst. superintendent. My basis for the help was to get my son in school
and to get the school district to realize that there were big inconsistancies
in their employees at the school level vs. their policy. Now they are having meetings to remedy the problem.
My son hates this Charter School, It is old school with grades 7 thru 12 in one room with 1 teacher he is in school for 4 hours. I was told by the asst superintendent that he could re-enter the school district as long as it is from a TEA accredited school so when he gets his grades.
I am sorry if you feel I wasted your time. This problem has been wasting my time since he was attacked and bullied Jan.31.
Ann

rmet4nzkx

He has been there how long and he already hates it? I think you and your son may still have troubles accommodiating to a new school, most people are happy with the added attention of a charter school. :confused:

josmatt22

School

I am fine with the school. If i could have gotten out of school at noon every
day I would have loved it. Some of his friends have been calling and asking
when are you coming to school?? It is a transition and I feel that he will be ahead of most Freshman. One of the Students told him that the work is harder at the Charter school than at the High School. There is no time
to get bullied. The students are dressed nice. They are there to work.
My other son is a Senior and his class has gone from 600 to 300 since
he was a Freshman. Last year 50% of the Freshman class failed. Personally
I wish he would stay this whole year and if he works really hard he could
be a Junior by May. One of my concerns is the ADD. I have found a neurologist (my other son is ADDHD and had a concussion last week)
went to him and is regulating his medication.
I am going to take Matt to see him. I did not give him his meds the first day of school and he did very well. Today with the meds he said he could not concentrate. With the grades he has had a's and B's and he is a Duke Student teachers cannot believe he is ADD. So I am taking him to the neurologist.
Something I want to say about our school district. They just went through
a nasty fight with a Superintendent that they had to Pay off. They had alot
or Teachers and Administrators Quit Retire Rehire for retirement benefits.
There is bad blood in the Community and the community turned down a
large Bond Issue. Alot of bad Politics during the last election. I talked to the President of the school board and asked him to consider me for a committee
if he has an opening. Get some positive out of all the negative.
thanks for talking to me
Ann :)

C

ChimpMama

District Lied to Me

There are some nationally reknown education attorneys in Texas because families very much need them in that state. Try Reid Martin.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">