• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file Contempt of Court Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stargazer1213

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

In my divorce decree, it states that child support is to be paid weekly in the amount of $90. At the end of the dcree, it states any violations to these stipulations are subject to contempt of court. Well, it has been 6 weeks since I received any child support and I want to know if I can file contempt of court charges on my own or do I have to have an attorney. I contacted my divorce attorney but since the divorce proceedings are done, she doesn't seem to have time for me or care. I am sick of my ex buying what he wants and paying his child support secondary. I just need to know what is entailed in filing contempt charges and if I can do it solo (without an attorney) Thanks!

Gracie3787

stargazer1213 said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

In my divorce decree, it states that child support is to be paid weekly in the amount of $90. At the end of the dcree, it states any violations to these stipulations are subject to contempt of court. Well, it has been 6 weeks since I received any child support and I want to know if I can file contempt of court charges on my own or do I have to have an attorney. I contacted my divorce attorney but since the divorce proceedings are done, she doesn't seem to have time for me or care. I am sick of my ex buying what he wants and paying his child support secondary. I just need to know what is entailed in filing contempt charges and if I can do it solo (without an attorney) Thanks!
Yes, you can file without an attorney and in your situation it sounds like an excellant idea. You can go to the courthouse and ask if there are any self help pro-se programs available. some places have them, some don't. If they don't then you can ask where to find the pro-se forms for contempt motions. Most courts have law libraries open to the public.

6 weeks isn't a very long time, but if you do file right away, maybe your ex will learn very fast, that you will enforce the order. It might save you (and your ex) from bigger problems further down the road.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">