• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitation rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stadek

What is the name of your state? Florida
If I move out of state and the father wants visitations do I have to come back to Florida or does he have to file where the child and I are at?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
A little more information would be helpful. But under normal circumstances, Dad could file in FL before you established residency in your new state. Why do you want to deprive your child of his/her father?

sirxamiel

stadek said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
If I move out of state and the father wants visitations do I have to come back to Florida or does he have to file where the child and I are at?
I think you need to establish visitation before you move. Why make him do it. He can file visitation in Fl now before you leave. It would be in the childs best interests to establish visitation before you leave. Geez....why do parents NOT put the child first and involve the father and the mother in thier lives before taking off with the child?

stadek

Florida- Ok first I am not trying to not let him see her at all. I encourage it more than anything I call him to see if he wants her. I have told him that I am thinking about moving so I can better myself, not to mention the pay is much better and so are the schools. I have told him that if I move I will make sure he sees his child he can have her every hoilday and the summers and he still says no. My question is just because I have a kid with him does that mean I am stuck here in this state for the rest of my life or do I have a choice to where I want to rise my child and what I think is best for her? He calls every now and then and he makes plans with me to get her then never shows up or calls for days. What am I to do?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
No, actually, YOU are not stuck there. YOU are perfectly free to move anywhere you'd like. However, your child has a father, and that father does actually have a right to voice his opinion about her being moved away from him. Now, his lack of motivation to get a visitation order may not look good for him, but he is allowed to contest your plan. You may want to offer him a generous visitation plan, along with your being responsible for transportation.

stadek

So can I file a petition to leave and file a visitation for him or does he have to file for visitation himself? I want to do everything that I can and make sure I've done what's right before I move. Because I don't want any problems. What do I do if he is unwilling to let me move? I told him I would pay for EVERYTHING in order for him to see his child. Transportation wise.

sirxamiel

stadek said:
So can I file a petition to leave and file a visitation for him or does he have to file for visitation himself? I want to do everything that I can and make sure I've done what's right before I move. Because I don't want any problems. What do I do if he is unwilling to let me move? I told him I would pay for EVERYTHING in order for him to see his child. Transportation wise.
Ok since you have put it that way, it seems you are willing to try to work with him, and you are encouraging him to see his child, and you are willing to pay for everything so he can see his child. Then I would do exactly that. He may contest it, but you are not STUCK there. You are doing the right thing, and keep doing that. You sound like a very responsible person, and you seem to have a good head. I would establish evrything first, then move. He cannot make the final decision about you moving, but the courts can. It may become difficult for you, but keep your head up high, put the child first, and no matter how bad the father tries to discourage you, dont let him. ALWAYS show him that you are willing to work with him, and that you intend on letting him see his child. But dont move too far away.

stadek

I am looking into hiring a lawyer to help me file for petition so I can leave. I also have been keeping track of when the father calls when he picks her up, how long he has her. Also I keep track of when I pick her up from daycare, what I fed her, and what time she goes to bed. However, I do plan on moving to Pennsylvania. So that is a good distance away from him. My concern is that he hardly sees or spends anytime with her now and since I've mentioned that I am thinking about moving he's complained about it but has made no effort in changeing things as far as seeing her or calling to talk to her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">