• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a widow have a "grace period" after the death of her spouse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kaiser ActobogG

What is the name of your state? California

My parents had been married for thirty years when my father passed away. He had been injured on his job (he was a federal employee), and died just under three years after his accident. My mother had medical problems (she had recently broken her jaw and hip) and had a breakdown. She went into a nearby convalescent home for a period of time, but I don't think she was put on any kind of medication other than what she was taking previous to my father's death (meaning no thorazine or anything like that). I went to the convalescent home a number of years ago, but was told they no longer had any inpatient records of my mother, they'd already been destroyed. She was sixty-one years old at the time my father died.

My parents had bought their property around twenty-two years before this, and owned it outright, meaning my father had paid off his VA home loan. My mother's family immediately talked her into selling the house and property, and influenced her decision to move into a retirement home. All this was done within a six month period after my father's death.

My mother died a few years later, and after her estate was settled I found a few inconsistencies, so I started doing my own research (I'm not a lawyer). If I understand what I found in the Insurance Codes, my mother wasn't supposed to make a major financial decision within a six month period following my father's death, there was a law that said that during the first six month period following a spouse's death, the widow experiences so much emotional trauma she isn't allowed to make decisions like selling property or stocks. Did I interpret this correctly?

I remember before she sold the house that my uncle (her brother) had asked her to give him a power of attorney, but I don't think that she did. This uncle is still alive, but is very elderly and might not remember the details of this period well, meaning he might not remember if he did have a power of attorney or not. Or he might not actually tell the truth about it.

My question is, was my mother legally mentally sound enough to sell her property at the time? I would say no, from what I remember and from what I have read in the lawbooks, but I haven't had any success in getting the property back. I did find a California law called Writ of Recission, that had something to do with unlawful tenancy, but was told it didn't apply in this case.

Something else I found in the Penal Codes when I was doing all this, is that if a person dies within a three year period from sustaining injuries in an auto accident that wasn't the decedant's fault, the other party was guilty of manslaughter or vehicular homicide or something. Did I read this correctly? If I did, and someone else knew of this law without telling my mother about it, then that furthers my belief that someone had put undue and unwarranted pressure on her to sell her property when she was in a delicate state.

Am I right about this?

Last edited:

Kaiser ActobogG

Thank you, that is good advice. There's a little difficulty finding an attorney to help my with this, as I mentioned in another thread. One, my mother's probate attorney is somewhat influential in the county she died in. Two, wealthy people married into the family after my father died, and became politically active. These are very nice people and are quite tolerant of me, but when I try to clarify my family situation, it appears to cause some conflict there. It gets suggested to me that I shouldn't continue with my search. There are other areas of conflict, of course, but this is one that's close to home.

From what I've read at the law library, I have one or two strong areas in my favor. I believe that I've put together a strong case, and that I would be successful should I ever get a chance to go to court with it.

I would like to retain an attorney to help me with this. I believe that I have good issues, and due to the circumstances I think that I am still timely.

I don't want to cause a commotion by being seen walking into a random law office. This has happened before.

And what type of lawyer should I try to get, anyway? When I got my divorce my family law attorney said wait, I can only do this and this, you might have other areas of need. Should I get a probate attorney, or a personal injury attorney?

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

BlondiePB said:
I read your other threads. Quit doing this yourself and hire an attorney(s) in the proper jurisdiction(s).
I agree. The more you write, the more confused you become.

Kaiser ActobogG

Thanks for the advice.

Seems pretty coherent on my end, though. I've seen guardian ad litems get appointed when the law said they couldn't be, seen altered court filings that the state bar said was OK, seen property sold by someone who could have legally been declared incompetant. I've basically seen one big ripoff. The confusion seems to be on the other end.

My question is what type of attorney should I get next? My guess is one good with attorney malpractice or malfeasance cases. My next step is the important one, I don't want to take on the wrong issue first.

And, I have one more question. I'm posting it in Hiring, Firing, and Wrongful Termination.

Last edited:

anteater

Kaiser ActobogG said:
Thanks for the advice.

And, I have one more question. I'm posting it in Hiring, Firing, and Wrongful Termination.
And, judging from the post there, you may need more than legal help.

S

seniorjudge

Q: My question is what type of attorney should I get next?

A: One who can understand what you are talking about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">