• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filming smbd's suicide illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GToma

What is the name of your state? California.

I am a film student at the American Film Institute in Los Angeles.
I am currently working on my thesis film.

The protagonist of the story is a documentarian who puts an ad on the internet: "Documentarian looking for suicidal individual to follow from first preperations to final act.". Because people in L.A. are crazy, suicidal and eager to be on camera he gets a number of responses.
Because he is concerned about legal consequences he goes to see a lawyer to find out if it is a crime to film someone planning and committing suicide.

Now I am researching the legal situation. Does anybody know what the law in California says about filming someone's suicide?
Again: I am working on a FICTICIOUS film with ACTORS.

I'd be happy to mention whoever can give me advice as "Legal Consultant" in the film's credits.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

GToma said:
What is the name of your state? California.

I am a film student at the American Film Institute in Los Angeles.
I am currently working on my thesis film.

The protagonist of the story is a documentarian who puts an ad on the internet: "Documentarian looking for suicidal individual to follow from first preperations to final act.". Because people in L.A. are crazy, suicidal and eager to be on camera he gets a number of responses.
Because he is concerned about legal consequences he goes to see a lawyer to find out if it is a crime to film someone planning and committing suicide.

Now I am researching the legal situation. Does anybody know what the law in California says about filming someone's suicide?
Again: I am working on a FICTICIOUS film with ACTORS.

I'd be happy to mention whoever can give me advice as "Legal Consultant" in the film's credits.

My response:

This is not unique. It's been "done to death" already. Rent the movie, "Faces of Death". You wouldn't be doing anything unique or worthy.

And besides, who the hell would want their name connected with such stupidity?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">