• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Travis420

What is the name of your state?NJ

This whole thing started way back in late December of 2004. I was sent to the hospital becouse I OD'ed on heroin. The police got in volved and I was given a ticket of some sort for the needle that I had. I was let go, but I haven't done any thing about that ticket. So as the weeks went by I moved a few times, locally; my mail never got caught up to me untill recently. Couple of days ago I got this summons through the mail stated that I should appear in court, but the date is past due, so I got this letter too late. I had a friend of mine to check out the number on the letter to see if there was a warrent out and there is.

I know I should go to the courts and get it straighten out but I have a few questions first.

Roughly how much does it cost to clear a warrent?

What is the most likely case senerio of what they are going to do to me? I don't have any previous record, this is my first offense.

If I do get lock up, for how long? This question is very important cause I'm on MMT program and won't last to long without my methadone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanx

Travis

S

seniorjudge

Travis420 said:
What is the name of your state?NJ

This whole thing started way back in late December of 2004. I was sent to the hospital becouse I OD'ed on heroin. The police got in volved and I was given a ticket of some sort for the needle that I had. I was let go, but I haven't done any thing about that ticket. So as the weeks went by I moved a few times, locally; my mail never got caught up to me untill recently. Couple of days ago I got this summons through the mail stated that I should appear in court, but the date is past due, so I got this letter too late. I had a friend of mine to check out the number on the letter to see if there was a warrent out and there is.

I know I should go to the courts and get it straighten out but I have a few questions first.

Roughly how much does it cost to clear a warrent?

What is the most likely case senerio of what they are going to do to me? I don't have any previous record, this is my first offense.

If I do get lock up, for how long? This question is very important cause I'm on MMT program and won't last to long without my methadone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanx

Travis

You didn't say what statute number you were charged with, so the best advice I can give is to surrender and ask for a public defender.

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat.

Bathe and wash your hair.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and the ticket not go on your record, if applicable.

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this.

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.”)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

Travis420

Thanks man for the advice :)

I went to the courts and it turn out to be an unpaid ticket and I got the warrent lifted, so I don't have to worry about being picked up. My girlfriend's friend told me the same advices as you did and also I guess I should take off my piercing off too when I go to see the Judge. I have a few on my face. Any of those advices are personal pet peeves? Just thought I ask. Are you a Judge?

Thanks again for the advice

Travis

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">