• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicade and Nursing Homes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mike13

Penna. My widowed mother (74) transferred her 75,000 home to me her son in Sept. of 2002. Around July of 2003, she went to a nursing home. When she applied for medical assistance / medicade, the last question on the form was "Have you transferred or sold any items such as a home etc. within the last three years". She truthfully answered yes. Medical assistance did NOT force her to turn over the value of the house to them. We were all hoping that the stay would be temporary, so Medical assistance paid the difference between her Social Security (which I had to pay the Nursing Home) and the balance which was about another $4,000 per month. I brought mom home in February of 2004. It was a short stay however, as she wound up back in the same Nursing Home a month later in March of 2004. Again we had to apply for medical assistance, and again we answered the same questions truthfully.
Medical assistance again paid the $4000 per month difference, and again, medical assistance did not ask for the value for the house. In August of 2004, I took Mom home again for another try. (I don't give up easy). She is still at home, and functioning very well. I take her medications and food at least every other day. My question is---when did the clock start for that three year period when they can still ask for the value of the transferred house. Was it in September of 2002 or was it later ? Many thanks, Mike

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">