• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My apartment renewal higher then another tentant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alysa432

What is the name of your state? Arizona
So I am well aware that when you go to rent a place depending on availabilty and specials, one person can walk in and get a completly different deal then the next. But on the lease renewal for apartments is this the same?
I moved into an apartment May 1st and a friend moved into the exact same apartment as I have (floorplan and everything) a month later. I believe his rent was like $30 more because I got a better special because there were more apartments open at the time.
At my renewal I got an increase of $25 and free carpet cleaning and a ceiling fan installed. My friend who renewed then the next month got a $50 reduction in rent and $100 coupon additionally on each month he renewed. So I had to pay $25 more now a month and he pays $150 less. Can apartment communites have such a drastic incentives on the same apartment that we renewed a month apart? I knew that happened at the intital lease of an apartment but never that drastic on renewals? I feel like I got cheated. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks

south

There is no set price that all the units have to be the same, all depends on what the landlord thinks he can get and what he actualy gets at the time it is for rent.

Incentives and drops in price happen normaly when there is a poor response to a unit that is available at a certain time.

alysa432 said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona
So I am well aware that when you go to rent a place depending on availabilty and specials, one person can walk in and get a completly different deal then the next. But on the lease renewal for apartments is this the same?
I moved into an apartment May 1st and a friend moved into the exact same apartment as I have (floorplan and everything) a month later. I believe his rent was like $30 more because I got a better special because there were more apartments open at the time.
At my renewal I got an increase of $25 and free carpet cleaning and a ceiling fan installed. My friend who renewed then the next month got a $50 reduction in rent and $100 coupon additionally on each month he renewed. So I had to pay $25 more now a month and he pays $150 less. Can apartment communites have such a drastic incentives on the same apartment that we renewed a month apart? I knew that happened at the intital lease of an apartment but never that drastic on renewals? I feel like I got cheated. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks

PghREA

Rents and landlords are just like jobs. You could have a co-worker doing the exact same job as you who has been there the same amount of time and is making more (or less) than you are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">