• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation for a RESPONSIBLE 16 Year Old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarah2000

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Before I get started I would like to say that this is not another of those "I don't want to live with my parents because of [fill in reasonable parental rule or restriction here]" threads. I know that I could support myself independently and have serious problems with my mom that interfere with the rest of my life. Please take this thread seiously and give me good responses instead of mockery.

My dad passed away when I was young, and my mom's life has been going downhill ever since. She has serious emotional problems and a major problem with alcaholism. She rarely has a job and lives on life insurance and my dad's military pension. She frequently shouts at me for no reason at all and takes out her emotional distress on me. My mom also tries to force me to give her money to feed her boozing.

She gives me bare butt spankings with her belt for every little trivial problem or even disagreements between us, over issues as trivial as when I get home at night or even my political views. If I don't pull down my pants and take it, then I am locked out of the house until I do. About a year ago, an older woman once saw the marks while I was taking a shower at the gym, asked me about them, and called CPS, but nothing ever became of it. This kind of punishment might be appropriate for a young child, but I seems more like abuse with someone my age, especially when it is just for disagreeing with her.

I am a very responsible person and would like to get away from this awful family environment. I am an extremely good student, and I plan on graduating early next year and going to a four-year college. I also work about 30 hours per week as a research assistant at a local lab. I have done this for about a year and a half and get $15 per hour for it.

I already pay almost all of my own bills. I own my own car (my paternal grandfather let me put it in his name to keep it away from her), and I pay for the insurance, gas, and repairs. I also pay for my own clothes, gym membership, cell, phone, and other expenses like that. I am on my grandfather's health insurance policy and pay my portion of it (my mom doesn't even have health insurance). I also have about $4,000 saved up (again, in my grandfather's name to keep it away from her) and can use this to cover moving costs.

This really only leaves rent/utilities and food, and I can easily cover these out of my income. My employer has also offered to subsidize my housing in an apartment usually used for summer interns. I would still be able to continue school and hopefully start college in a year and a half.

I feel sure that I can handle this, and I could talk my mom into giving her permission if I need it legally. Please let me know what the legal requirments are and how to go about filing for emancipation (or whatever the correct wording is). Thank you in advance for your help.

Sarah W.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

sarah2000 said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

Before I get started I would like to say that this is not another of those "I don't want to live with my parents because of [fill in reasonable parental rule or restriction here]" threads. I know that I could support myself independently and have serious problems with my mom that interfere with the rest of my life. Please take this thread seiously and give me good responses instead of mockery.

My dad passed away when I was young, and my mom's life has been going downhill ever since. She has serious emotional problems and a major problem with alcaholism. She rarely has a job and lives on life insurance and my dad's military pension. She frequently shouts at me for no reason at all and takes out her emotional distress on me. My mom also tries to force me to give her money to feed her boozing.

She gives me bare butt spankings with her belt for every little trivial problem or even disagreements between us, over issues as trivial as when I get home at night or even my political views. If I don't pull down my pants and take it, then I am locked out of the house until I do. About a year ago, an older woman once saw the marks while I was taking a shower at the gym, asked me about them, and called CPS, but nothing ever became of it. This kind of punishment might be appropriate for a young child, but I seems more like abuse with someone my age, especially when it is just for disagreeing with her.

I am a very responsible person and would like to get away from this awful family environment. I am an extremely good student, and I plan on graduating early next year and going to a four-year college. I also work about 30 hours per week as a research assistant at a local lab. I have done this for about a year and a half and get $15 per hour for it.

I already pay almost all of my own bills. I own my own car (my paternal grandfather let me put it in his name to keep it away from her), and I pay for the insurance, gas, and repairs. I also pay for my own clothes, gym membership, cell, phone, and other expenses like that. I am on my grandfather's health insurance policy and pay my portion of it (my mom doesn't even have health insurance). I also have about $4,000 saved up (again, in my grandfather's name to keep it away from her) and can use this to cover moving costs.

This really only leaves rent/utilities and food, and I can easily cover these out of my income. My employer has also offered to subsidize my housing in an apartment usually used for summer interns. I would still be able to continue school and hopefully start college in a year and a half.

I feel sure that I can handle this, and I could talk my mom into giving her permission if I need it legally. Please let me know what the legal requirments are and how to go about filing for emancipation (or whatever the correct wording is). Thank you in advance for your help.

Sarah W.
§ 16.1-333. Findings necessary to order that minor is emancipated.

The court may enter an order declaring the minor emancipated if, after a hearing, it is found that: (i) the minor has entered into a valid marriage, whether or not that marriage has been terminated by dissolution; or (ii) the minor is on active duty with any of the armed forces of the United States of America; or (iii) the minor willingly lives separate and apart from his parents or guardian, with the consent or acquiescence of the parents or guardian, and that the minor is or is capable of supporting himself and competently managing his own financial affairs.
(1986, c. 506.)

http://www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/virginia.html
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+16.1-262

Too bad you can't work something out with your grandfather (to stay with him). Since you are planning on going to college, how do you plan on paying for it? The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) goes by your mother's income and doesn't recognize emancipated minors.

http://www.iupui.edu/~finaid/forms/03_04DependencyOverride.pdf#search='FAFSA%20emancipation'

Related links:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=226948
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=216100
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=198370

Wolflmg

She could always go to a community college for a couple of years. But I do agree that perhaps she could work something out with her grandfather. He already seems to be looking out for her.

sarah2000

Too bad you can't work something out with your grandfather (to stay with him). Since you are planning on going to college, how do you plan on paying for it? The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) goes by your mother's income and doesn't recognize emancipated minors.
Thanks for the advice and for your concern. I looked into the FAFSA and the CSS/Profile (the application many private colleges use) and my mom's income is so small that it shouldn't really make much difference in terms of the aid I receive. Financial aid should cover a good portion of the cost of college, and I can pay for the rest with work, loans, and maybe a couple of scholarships.

sarah2000

So it looks like I would be eligeable for emancipation, but how do I go about applying/filing for it? Any help would be appreciated.

reamann

This is definate abuse and you should continue to call CPS until they do something about it. Good luck.

casa

reamann said:
This is definate abuse and you should continue to call CPS until they do something about it. Good luck.
I concur...Not only abusive, but also bizarre at your age. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">