• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying support for daughter not attending school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

louvic9096

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?New York

I'm paying support for my two children. My daughter who is 15 years old and lives with her mother has stop attending school. Do I have to still pay support for her and at what age I no longer have to pay support if she does not attend school.

Thanks,

LdiJ

louvic9096 said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state?New York

I'm paying support for my two children. My daughter who is 15 years old and lives with her mother has stop attending school. Do I have to still pay support for her and at what age I no longer have to pay support if she does not attend school.

Thanks,
Child support ending and legal adulthood don't happen in NY until age 21. Therefore you would most likely have to prove her as totally emancipated in order to terminate child support. I don't think there is any chance that you could get a judge to declare a 15 year old as emancipated. However if by age 18 or so she is fully self-supporting, you probably can get a judge to declare her as emancipated.

However, its very unusual for a child to leave school at 15....don't count on that being permanent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">