• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm a teen, and pregnant. Could my bf go to jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ur_drea_grl07

Indiana

Last year, I got pregnant in March (I was 15 years old at the time, and my boyfriend was 18 years old). During the second week of June, I had a miscarriage. My Mom stuck with the fact that if it happened again, she would bring that experience up to the police. Up to this day, I am still with the same guy.. and now I am 16 years old, and he is 19 years old... and I'm pregnant again. Could my boyfriend go to jail for this, and if so, for how long approximately? Is there any way to get around this??

Happy Trails

ur_drea_grl07 said:
Indiana

Last year, I got pregnant in March (I was 15 years old at the time, and my boyfriend was 18 years old). During the second week of June, I had a miscarriage. My Mom stuck with the fact that if it happened again, she would bring that experience up to the police. Up to this day, I am still with the same guy.. and now I am 16 years old, and he is 19 years old... and I'm pregnant again. Could my boyfriend go to jail for this, and if so, for how long approximately? Is there any way to get around this??
I suppose if Mom can prove it and decides to pursue it. From Indiana statutes:

IC 35-42-4-9
Sexual misconduct with a minor
Sec. 9. (a) A person at least eighteen (18) years of age who, with a child at least fourteen (14) years of age but less than sixteen (16) years of age, performs or submits to sexual intercourse or deviate sexual conduct commits sexual misconduct with a minor, a Class C felony.

(b) A person at least eighteen (18) years of age who, with a child at least fourteen (14) years of age but less than sixteen (16) years of age, performs or submits to any fondling or touching, of either the child or the older person, with intent to arouse or to satisfy the sexual desires of either the child or the older person, commits sexual misconduct with a minor, a Class D felony.

Go to this link to read about Class C felony and Class D felony: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar50/ch2.html
Scroll down to > IC 35-50-2-6 and IC 35-50-2-7.

These are the defenses that are allowed.

(c) It is a defense that the accused person reasonably believed that the child was at least sixteen (16) years of age at the time of the conduct. However, this subsection does not apply to an offense described in subsection (a)(2) or (b)(2).
(d) It is a defense that the child is or has ever been married. However, this subsection does not apply to an offense described in subsection (a)(2) or (b)(2).

Side note (a)(2) or (b)(2) had nothing to do with your situation so I didn't bother posting all of it.

It also doesn't look good that your mom knew of this and did nothing about it at the time.

Last edited:

ur_drea_grl07

I've made a lot of mistakes...

First of all, I was using birth control pills this time and last (Tri-Cyclen Lo). I lost my virginity with this guy at age 15, and I have just continued.

So.. he could get the maximum of 2 1/2 years, and if we both said that I lied to him about my age... then he could possibly get it lessened a little??

Wolflmg

ur_drea_grl07 said:
First of all, I was using birth control pills this time and last (Tri-Cyclen Lo). I lost my virginity with this guy at age 15, and I have just continued.

So.. he could get the maximum of 2 1/2 years, and if we both said that I lied to him about my age... then he could possibly get it lessened a little??
Did you lie? Because if you didn't and you lied now, you might only be digging into bigger trouble.

Happy Trails

So you got pregnant using the same birth control and it never occurred to you and your boyfriend to use a 2nd form of birth control?

Please brush up on what types of things put you at risk of getting pregnant with your choice of BC . (not taking consistently, other drugs that may interact....) I know it's too late now, but in the future.....

http://www.drugs.com/MTM/O/Ortho_Tri_Cyclen_Lo.html

Do you really believe Mom will pursue the charges?

To answer your question:

IC 35-50-2-6
Sec. 6. (a) A person who commits a Class C felony shall be imprisoned for a fixed term of four (4) years, with not more than four (4) years added for aggravating circumstances or not more than two (2) years subtracted for mitigating circumstances. In addition, he may be fined not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000). ***So if he is charged and convicted he would be looking at 4 years with possibly having 2 years subtracted.

IC 35-50-2-7
Sec. 7. (a) A person who commits a Class D felony shall be imprisoned for a fixed term of one and one-half (1 1/2) years, with not more than one and one-half (1 1/2) years added for aggravating circumstances or not more than one (1) year subtracted for mitigating circumstances. In addition, he may be fined not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000). ***Here he would be looking at 1 1/2 years with possibly having 1 year subtracted.

CdwJava

Mom does not have to bring it up to the police - any mandated reporter can (and this includes medical personnel). The fact that you apparently had a miscarriage in the 2nd week of June (what's that? Less than a week ago?) means that you shouldn't be surprised if the police show up at your door to ask a few questions.

Nobody has to press charges for this to get your boyfriend sent to jail and a registered sex offender for life.

It's time to save it til you're old enough to legally set up house.

- Carl

Happy Trails

Carl, the miscarriage happened last year.

This is her 2nd pregnancy and Mom said after the last one if it were to happen again she would have him charged (for when she was under age.)

CdwJava

Happy Trails said:
Carl, the miscarriage happened last year.

This is her 2nd pregnancy and Mom said after the last one if it were to happen again she would have him charged (for when she was under age.)
Okay ... I missed the "last year" at the beginning of her original post.

But, there is still time ... heck, the SOL hasn't tolled yet. While it's not likely, it IS possible to charge it.

- Carl

Happy Trails

CdwJava said:
Okay ... I missed the "last year" at the beginning of her original post.

But, there is still time ... heck, the SOL hasn't tolled yet. While it's not likely, it IS possible to charge it.

- Carl
Yep, I agree.

ur_drea_grl07

Thanks for everything!

Just to let everybody know, all is well. I finally told my Mom (Wednesday) that I'm pregnant (21 weeks), and she has been nothing but supportive since I told her. She planned to get me to a doctor sometime next week, but I had to make an unexpected trip to the emergency room while she was in Ohio with the rest of my family at Cedar Point, Friday. At the hospital, they listened to the heartbeat (which is very strong); and they did an ultrasound. In the ultrasound, they saw all of the baby's organs; noted that the baby is very active, which is very healthy; and they determined that I'm having a girl! I just wanted to thank all of you for all of your advice, and legal information. I'm happy to know that none of the legal info is needed now. Take care everybody, and thanks again!
Krysti

ldkirby

Gee, what great news. Always makes me all warm and fuzzy to know another 16 year old is having a baby out of wedlock.

Wolflmg

ldkirby said:
Gee, what great news. Always makes me all warm and fuzzy to know another 16 year old is having a baby out of wedlock.
Hey the girl did the right thing by telling her mother, and it's good to know the baby is healthy. This girl came on here scared to death. Yeah she's 16 and having a kid, but she has to support of her family and that is important. Their are some they don't have the support of their family.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Wolflmg said:
Hey the girl did the right thing by telling her mother, and it's good to know the baby is healthy. This girl came on here scared to death. Yeah she's 16 and having a kid, but she has to support of her family and that is important. Their are some they don't have the support of their family.

My response:

Yes, let's make sure she has "support" from her family - - remember, it takes a village; a village of idiots who get stuck with paying for Food Stamps and Welfare for some little bitch who "just needed to get pregnant." Yeah, it's us taxpayers, all of us.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">