• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do teenage children have rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lcruthie

What is the name of your state? Ohio

We have been in and out of court for 9+ years. The last episode involved
my daughter, age 14, whom I have custody of, telling her mother she did not want to visit with her until "further notice". At the time I was out of town due to military and found out about the conversation a few days later when I returned home. My ex-wife then filed contempt charges against me alleging I was preventing her from visiting with my daughter. That was 8 months ago.
My ex-wife has not called or come to the house to even attempt visitation.
Today in court the magistrate ordered my daughter to resume visitation with her mother, and we are to have a final hearing on the contempt charges in November. At that time, if my daughter has not "obeyed" the court, then the magistrate said the court will at that time entertain a change of custody.
My daughter is extremely adamant about not visiting with her mother. There are some moral issues involved, however, the court does not care about this.
In October my daughter will turn 15. She has had to be in court almost all of her life. She is tired of all the guardian ad litems, the psychologists, etc. - all saying we must work for the "best interest of the child", but all this time it is destroying my child's childhood. I am on my fourth attorney and have spent over $20,000 -- still no one is really listening. My daughter needs an advocate who "will" work in "her best interest". My question is WHO? Can anyone help her?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You should likely have a serious Come to Jesus talk with your daughter. A court has made it clear that she IS to comply with the order and visit her mother, and outlined the consequences of her continued refusal to do so. I'd make sure that she fully understands what she's looking at if she continues on this course of action - she's going to be living with Mom full time. That's likely to be much less pleasant than seeing her a few times a month.

YOU should also put your foot down and stop allowing her to make decisions that she is not legally permitted to make. Would you allow her to stop going to school because she didn't like a teacher?

tcarlson

This burns me up!:mad:

This happened to me! my ex let my daughter not visit me. She went to live with him because she became abusive with me and the ex would not disipline her, Thus I was the bad guy and he was her hero. Because of the hate the ex had for me they fed off eachother and made it impossible for he to have a relationship with me for fear of betraying the father who "saved her from mean old mom. Remember, you may hate your ex but your daughter is part of both of you. Make sure your not making her feel dis loyal for having any relationship with her mom. If you dont encourage her she and infact talk poorly about her mom it may come back to bit you in the butt when she has kids one day. Ask yourself ? does it make you just a little happy she doesnt want to see her mom????

sandysmom

same problem

My husband has the same problem in Georgia with his 14 year old daughter. Our attorney says she has the right to not visit with some limitations. She doesn't want to come to our house because she can do whatever she wants at her mothers. Her dad has limits and rules. It will probably be years before she realizes how important her relationship with both parents is. Be persistant.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
GA is a totally different ball of wax, as it does allow kids a lot more decision-making power. AND, the court has already told OP that either the kid goes or a change of custody will be considered. Unless that's what he's ultimately aiming for, he needs to kick the kid in the rear and make her go. There's a reason why kids are kids, and parents are (supposed to be) parents.

sandysmom

I agree

I agree and so does my husband. We're hoping for a change of custody when we go to the hearing for a decision on the new trial. The judge has already said maybe she should be with her dad based on the evidence we already had. But they have to let her live where she wants unless we can prove her mother unfit. That would be the best thing for her before she gets totally out of hand. Mom lets her stay up all night, stay on the phone all night with friends, she watches MTV, VH1 and we all know what's on there, she wears all the makeup she wants, dresses like she wants. Her dad doesn't let her when she's with us and "she's sick of it" in her words.

LdiJ

sandysmom said:
I agree and so does my husband. We're hoping for a change of custody when we go to the hearing for a decision on the new trial. The judge has already said maybe she should be with her dad based on the evidence we already had. But they have to let her live where she wants unless we can prove her mother unfit. That would be the best thing for her before she gets totally out of hand. Mom lets her stay up all night, stay on the phone all night with friends, she watches MTV, VH1 and we all know what's on there, she wears all the makeup she wants, dresses like she wants. Her dad doesn't let her when she's with us and "she's sick of it" in her words.
Actually...that sounds like pretty normal teenage girl behavior to me. Its possible that dad is perhaps being a little too strict.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">