• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alcoholism- Can I draw?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BobbyR

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Michigan

I've heard that recently, they're looking at alcoholics as disabled( clinically proven as a disease), I am a severe alcoholic, can't hold down a job, etc.
I have total to date 9 nine drunk drivings and I'm 35 yrs old, I'm a vet from Gulf, so yes, there are some "issues" going on. However, I can't stop drinking.
I've tried everything(in-patient, out-patient, meds, etc) I can't stop. I'm losing jobs 'cause of my disease. If anyone knows about this "specific" issue, I would greatly appreciate your reply

Bobby R

seniorjudge

If alcoholism is a disease, then it's the only one I know of that is caused by your hand moving up to your mouth.

I certainly hope you are not eligible to get my tax dollars.

casa

BobbyR said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Michigan

I've heard that recently, they're looking at alcoholics as disabled( clinically proven as a disease), I am a severe alcoholic, can't hold down a job, etc.
I have total to date 9 nine drunk drivings and I'm 35 yrs old, I'm a vet from Gulf, so yes, there are some "issues" going on. However, I can't stop drinking.
I've tried everything(in-patient, out-patient, meds, etc) I can't stop. I'm losing jobs 'cause of my disease. If anyone knows about this "specific" issue, I would greatly appreciate your reply

Bobby R
Try Alcoholics Anonymous for drinking- It's not a disorder or a disability, so you won't get SSI for it.

Contact the VA if you are drinking to numb symptoms related to your time in the Gulf.

formerlsa

hello?????

Alcoholism is a disease, where have you been? Why do you think that alchoholics cannot stop drinking? It is a poison to their systems.It is mostly genetic. Most of the time there is a mental disorder involved, it goes hand in hand with substance abuse. Yeah, maybe Social Security won't give you a disability if you say you are just an alcoholic, but if you seek treatment along with psychiatric treatment, I'm sure you will be diagnosed with some form of a mental disorder.

There are many people who are bi-polar, who have depression, post traumatic stress syndrome, anxiety etc, who also abuse themselves. They may have worked for 25 years and paid their tax dollars just like everyone else. They are entitled to help............ Sorry bud, I disagree with you and I hope the OP can get some help, unlike you, I have empathy........

formerlsa

BTW, I know someone who is bi-polar and is also an alcoholic and drug user and this person got approved for SSD. So, you are wrong. Bobby, go to a hospital ,tell them you need help, they will walk you step by step through the process of what you should be doing. They will help you. If you have no insurance and no job apply for free care. You probably have post traumatic stress syndrome, you gave up your life to fight for our perfect country......... just an opinion like all the other opinions on this sight..........

BobbyR

Thanks

Thank you formerlsa! seniorjudge is a real jackass for that reply. I appreciate the insight/info that u offered for me, it's nice to know that there are some decent folks still out there.
I've tried many times to quit and just keep relapsing to the point where I just have to deal w/this problem kinda like someone who is disabled has to deal with it.
Bobby

Legislation (P.L.104-121) stipulates that people disabled due to drug addiction or alcoholism (DAA) will be ineligible for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability benefits and, therefore, Medicare and Medicaid coverage linked to SSDI and SSI. This legislation affects both those currently receiving benefits and those applying for them....
This legislation applies immediately to any new or pending benefits claims, and individuals currently receiving disability benefits based on DAA will have their benefits terminated on January 1, 1997.
http://www.nami.org/Content/ContentGroups/Policy/Updates/New_Law_Denies_SSI__SSDI_To_Those_With_Alcoholism_And_Drug_Addictions.htm

The answer to this strands question is no.

formerlsa

Not so smart Mark, YES, it is true you cannot get approved if you are just an alcoholic or drug abuser. But.......if you have a mental disorder to go along with it (which many do), than YOU CAN be approved.I know several people who got approved. Please do not discourage this guy. Talk to a lawyer, you will get the real answer. I also have an X husband who has several mental disorders who is also a binger and substance abuser and he is on railroad disability permanetely. He worked there for many years, yeah he was approved. You need to find a doctor who is qualified in psychiatry and psychology to figure out what exact disorder you have. Like I said most of the time substance abuse goes hand in hand with mental disabilities. Not all of us in this world can cope with life. This is not like a situation where a 20 year old likes to party their butt off, this is a real disease and eventually the SS laws will probably change. Bobby do not listen to him, I'm sure being in the Gulf has affected you mentally, just find the right Doctor who knows his stuff and eventually you will be approved. Don't give up!

Also, of course try to help yourself, I know you said you have, and you keep on relapsing, it is very difficult, this is why you need medical help and AA.

The question first raised wasn't, "Can I get SSI/SSDI benefits if I have a confirmed mental disorder?" It was, "I've heard that recently, they're looking at alcoholics as disabled." The answer to that question is, "No." To tell him anything different is misleading. If his question was, "Can I receive SSI/SSDI benefits if I have a confirmed mental disorder?", the answer would be different. He needs to understand that Alcoholism does not, and cannot equal mental disorder for SSI/SSDI benefits.
Also, if he has a mental disorder, it has to stand alone and separately from his alcoholism. If they find the alcoholism has any contributing part, his claim will be rejected.

The new law applies to people whose "drug addiction or alcoholism is a contributing factor material to their disability." Those who qualify for SSDI or SSI benefits based on another disability will retain their eligibility.
http://www.nami.org/Content/ContentGroups/Policy/Updates/New_Law_Denies_SSI__SSDI_To_Those_With_Alcoholism_And_Drug_Addictions.htm

formerlsa

OK, you are right about one thing, that is you cannot get benefits if you are just an alcoholic. But if you read the SS law it states that up to 50% are dual diagnosed. Just like my X. He is a substance abuser but has mental illness also. So, I just wanted the guy to know that he may have disorders and mental illnesses that haven't been diagnosed yet that is all. Besides, do we want more homeless people on the street in America? If you worked a large amount of your life and contributed to social security, railroad, postal or whatever pension plans, and you have hard times which include mental disorders, then you should be able to get help. Should we just let the people live under the railroad tracks or something? Sorry, but this is the land of opportunity and I beleive that anyone who wants and needs help ahould be able to get it same with health insurance!

dallas702

formerlsa;

My oldest son is a bipolar who has had to be institutionalized several times. He also has had substance abuse problems throughout his adult life, and had undergone treatment for alcoholism with reasonable success. He encounters many of the same problems that BobbyR does.

That said, my son does NOT have a "disease". He has a behavior-related condition that he started by putting garbage in his body. He didn't "catch" alcoholism or drug abuse from some guy at a bar. He didn't get his condition from a dirty doorknob. He didn't start his addiction by breathing contaminated air. He became this way from experimenting with drugs/booze to have fun. Yes, his mental condition made it worse.......and vice versa. His substance abuse created most of his mental problems.

But, none of it is a "disease". It is almost all a condition of his own choice and making.

Calling substance abuse/alcoholism a "disease" is just a trendy way of making excuses for stupid, self-destructive decisions.

formerlsa

Dallas, I understand what you sre saying, this is a very controversial subject. Mental illness is a disease and so isn't alcoholism. You don't "catch" parkinsons or cancer yet they are still diseases.Have you been to Alanon or AA? Does you son have government help or SSDI or SSI because he is bi-polar? If not he deserves benefits, mental illness such as bi-polar qualifys for benefits.He has dual diagnoses. Do you yourself understand that with him having bi-polar it has made him weak enough to make the wrong choices????

It is hard for us "non-alcoholics or drug abusers" to empathize with the users. They have usually hurt most of us with their "behaviors" in their paths of life and we usually give them chance after chance and hope for their well being.Yes we are let down many times. Most of these people do not want to be this way. They have no control over their behaviors although their are some who say they have their own choices to make.

My X has been in the hospital over and over and was finally diagnosed with 3 or 4 mental disorders along with substance abuse. Another girl I know is in the same boat and is so depressed she cannot get out of bed, she doesn't even want to be here on this earth, she is on SSD. She also uses substances, although they all try not to, but then relapse.

We need to understand more about mental illness and how it goes along with abusing and self medicating. The stigma in America has alot to be desired for. They are still people. People who cannot cope. Lifes events can trigger these problems too, like childhood abuse etc. The mind is a fragile thing, we should respect it more.

I am sorry for your son. But who knows who is to blame, do you really think he asked for this?Chemical imbalance? Well the jury is still out on this theory..... I'm sure you have anger issues here and I don't blame you, I have been there. Yes it is pitiful, but he is still human and he has this disorder, a serious disorder and I hope you will still support him as much as your capable emotionally.........

formerlsa

alcoholism is a progessive disease

Yes I know there will be many different opinions here and Bobby you sure brought up a good subject. I just looked up alcoholism. In most all of the websights it says that it is a disease and a progressive one at that.

Now, whether SS will reverse the laws they changed in 1997, probably not, because why give benefits to the drunk and homeless on the road begging for money? Yeah, they do not want to help themselves. I guess America is still the best place to live? When you here about what is going on in other countries I guess it is true.

It is a sad World.

seniorjudge

dallas702 said:
formerlsa;

My oldest son is a bipolar who has had to be institutionalized several times. He also has had substance abuse problems throughout his adult life, and had undergone treatment for alcoholism with reasonable success. He encounters many of the same problems that BobbyR does.

That said, my son does NOT have a "disease". He has a behavior-related condition that he started by putting garbage in his body. He didn't "catch" alcoholism or drug abuse from some guy at a bar. He didn't get his condition from a dirty doorknob. He didn't start his addiction by breathing contaminated air. He became this way from experimenting with drugs/booze to have fun. Yes, his mental condition made it worse.......and vice versa. His substance abuse created most of his mental problems.

But, none of it is a "disease". It is almost all a condition of his own choice and making.

Calling substance abuse/alcoholism a "disease" is just a trendy way of making excuses for stupid, self-destructive decisions.

I don't think any of these people are interested in the truth...they just want feel-good soapboxing.

snostar

dallas702 said:
Actually the medical community does consider it a disease, but it is also 100% treatable, and therefore should not be utilized as a crutch or excuse for state benefits. Bobby is in complete denial, and not worth the effort until he is ready to help himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">