• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal search? coaxed into confession.. can charges be dropped?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trplefelon

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I have been charged with 2 felony drug charges. Posession of controlled substance with intent to sell and transportation of controlled substance. I was on vacation on an island and my purse was stolen while out at a bar. The next day I received a call that my purse had been recovered, so I went down to the police station to redeem my purse. They had apparently searched my bag and had become aware of the 18 ecstacy pills that were within. I was arrested on the 2 above charges. I denied the pills being mine, said that I hadnt been in posession of my purse and I had no clue where they had come from. During the booking process, a sheriff who is an acquaintance of mine entered the room and we began to talk. The arresting officer, then aware of my relationship with the sheriff, requested he do the questioning with me. So after about 4 hours in the cell, my acquaintance took me into a conference room and told me that i was being charged with a total of 3 fellonies and 1 misdameanor. He also repeated what the officer had told me; that under normal circumstances I would spend the night in the station, and be shipped to the mainland the following morning, where I would spend 2 or 3 days in the LA county jail, until i received a courtdate or was released on $70,000 bail. Being a barely-19 year old female, with no priors and no jail time, I was devistated. He went on to tell me that if I admitted to everything being mine and wrote an "apolgy letter to the judge" he could get me cited out, so I could go home that night. Trembling and in tears, I wrote the "letter," as he directed me with what to say. About an hour later, I was released.

First of all, did they have a legal right to search my bag?
Second, is there any possibility of getting the confession thrown out considering the altamadum (sp?) he offered?
I have my first court date on Friday (8/19). My attorney has not returned any of my calls. I don't know that he has even looked over the case. Should I plead ??

trplefelon

similar case anyone?

whoa there.. bored much? i didnt post to get crude remarks from no-lifes. i didnt know i had the pills, certainly never would have gone to a police station to retrieve a bag with illegal drugs in it. also, i was not under the influence ( of anything). i was not tested for the reason that that was very apparent. i havent used x in years and i am not a druggie. nor am i a pusher. im looking for advice, so please dont waste my time with other non sense. anyone with a similar case or a better knowledge of search procedure, or confessions; please reply. thank you

trplefelon

IS being a dumb druggie a defense?

within my small legal history i have been left under the impression that if a defendent was "dumb enough" charges could be dropped on that single merrit. not understanding the rights. not understanding the charges. not understanding what the drugs were... does anything along these lines sound true? and enough to hold in court?

hdianne

I don't know the answers to your questions but I can tell you not to stress about your lawyer not calling you back. The first court date you will have plenty of time to tell your lawyer your side of the story. Good luck in court.

BelizeBreeze

trplefelon said:
within my small legal history i have been left under the impression that if a defendent was "dumb enough" charges could be dropped on that single merrit. not understanding the rights. not understanding the charges. not understanding what the drugs were... does anything along these lines sound true? and enough to hold in court?
First of all, if you don't know what you're talking about then shut the hell up.

As for being dumb enough, she confessed. PERIOD!, the police are allowed UNDER LAW, to trick a suspect and this poor little (innocent) girl was tricked into admitting she had the pills.

Or maybe it was the cookie monster who put them there. As for the other idiot who posted after you, more worthless drivel.

And if you'd read her response to me you'd notice that she admitted HERE that she used x (her own term). The simple fact that she forgot they were there is no defense.

hdianne

BelizeBreeze said:
As for the other idiot who posted after you, more worthless drivel.

And if you'd read her response to me you'd notice that she admitted HERE that she used x (her own term). The simple fact that she forgot they were there is no defense.
I know that but she can still talk to her lawyer and work out a deal if this is her first offense. I could have gotten 5 years in jail but I made a deal even though I confessed and just got probation.

trplefelon

wish me luck

If i dont know what im talking about, shut the hell up? thats why im here, looking for answers.. because i dont know how it all works. if you cant advise me in any way.. then just go away. i didnt register to this site to return to 8th grade where the "bullies" talk **** online. im looking for simple answers to simple questions. it has become apparent that you have no advice for me, so just leave it be. you're just overloading my post.

shortly after i posted my thread and left my attorney several messages; he returned my call. however, thank you for your HELPFUL reply, HDIANNE

my courtdate is, as i said, friday; so i will repost the beginning of the results for more of you to learn from...

wish me luck

trplefelon

just a question for the breezy!

who made you the legal top notch? are u an attorney?... or just a bitter old felon? just asking so i can decide how legit your words are.

trplefelon

just probation? to H dianne

im just curious... what were your charges/convictions? in which you were sentenced probation rather than serving time after pleading guilty.

BelizeBreeze

hdianne said:
I know that but she can still talk to her lawyer and work out a deal if this is her first offense. I could have gotten 5 years in jail but I made a deal even though I confessed and just got probation.
That's the difference between someone who moves on with their life and someone who comes on an internet forum to justify their drug habit.

One learns and grows, the other will be dead in 5 years, or a worthless drain on society.

hdianne

BelizeBreeze said:
That's the difference between someone who moves on with their life and someone who comes on an internet forum to justify their drug habit.

One learns and grows, the other will be dead in 5 years, or a worthless drain on society.
You sound like an IAAL wannabe!

BelizeBreeze

hdianne said:
You sound like an IAAL wannabe!
And you sound like another druggie who can't get their head out of their ass long enough to take responsibility for their own actions.

You two belong in the same cell

hdianne

trplefelon said:
who made you the legal top notch? are u an attorney?... or just a bitter old felon? just asking so i can decide how legit your words are.
breezy is not a lawyer so ignore him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">