• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining Order/trying to work it out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scrapbooking

What is the name of your state? New York.
Hello everyone. My name is Julie, and I have a question. I have been married for 2 years, we live in New York and have one child. Last week we got into a horrible arguement, and I had to call the police. He was drinking some and instead of leaving me alone he continued to come into the room I was in and saying horrible things. Some threatening, some not. So I called the police to remove him from the house. Now, after they came, he left, the officer in charge suggested I go to a hotel in case he came back and i did do that. He also said before I went home I needed to get a restraining order; and I wanted to go home, so I went to family court and told the judge that I had called the PD because he was threatening me and at that moment I was scared. So he gave a restraining order for me and our child until Sept. 7th. Now I will be honest and say our marriage has been on the rocks for a few months now, but we have a nice family, and I think that we need some counseling for one. He despretely misses our child, and he's a GREAT father, I have no complaints there. Can I request this be dropped before Sept. 7th? Or do we have to wait until that court date, and if so at that time, what will happen? Thank you for any help, this site is a wonderful place I think for the public to learn about laws. I got alot of help here on car accident a year ago. So I think that most people on here are a real help to people like me. Thank you for your time.
A wife/mom trying to make it work.

Just Blue

scrapbooking said:
What is the name of your state? New York.
Hello everyone. My name is Julie, and I have a question. I have been married for 2 years, we live in New York and have one child. Last week we got into a horrible arguement, and I had to call the police. He was drinking some and instead of leaving me alone he continued to come into the room I was in and saying horrible things. Some threatening, some not. So I called the police to remove him from the house.Now, after they came, he left, the officer in charge suggested I go to a hotel in case he came back and i did do that. He also said before I went home I needed to get a restraining order; and I wanted to go home, so I went to family court and told the judge that I had called the PD because he was threatening me and at that moment I was scared. So he gave a restraining order for me and our child until Sept. 7th. Now I will be honest and say our marriage has been on the rocks for a few months now, but we have a nice family, and I think that we need some counseling for one. He despretely misses our child, and he's a GREAT father, I have no complaints there. Can I request this be dropped before Sept. 7th? Or do we have to wait until that court date, and if so at that time, what will happen? Thank you for any help, this site is a wonderful place I think for the public to learn about laws. I got alot of help here on car accident a year ago. So I think that most people on here are a real help to people like me. Thank you for your time.
A wife/mom trying to make it work.
1. A great father DOES NOT threaten the mother of his children.

2. If you were so frightened that you had to stay in a hotel for the night, this is not a nice family. This is a very troubled one!

3. Please ...let the TRO stay until the 7th...when you are in a abusive situation it is hard to think straight, give yourself this time to sort out your feelings. You will be amazed how you might feel in 2 weeks!!

4. In answer to your question...You might be able to vacate the order...call the court and ask for the Domestic Violence Div. They will tell you if you can. But think about it first...think about how you felt when he was standing over you drunk and threatening...think about how your children were upset having to go to that hotel..how confused they were!
You know this wasn't the first time he did this...might be the first time you did something about it...but he did it before and most likely will again!!
So think long and hard before you vacate the order.

Good luck to you and I hope everything works out!

Just Blue

Rushia

baystategirl said:
OMG! Is this HER?? Oh honey...if you let him back in, you are making the biggest mistake of your life!
We're not sure, but awful close on the stories and dates!!!

Just Blue

Rushia said:
We're not sure, but awful close on the stories and dates!!!

I hope it isn't her... I was thinking seeingheragain was making it up...I didn't think anyone could be that dumb and clueless!!

Rushia

baystategirl said:
I hope it isn't her... I was thinking seeingheragain was making it up...I didn't think anyone could be that dumb and clueless!!
Regrettably, some are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">