• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lanisillygoose

What is the name of your state?I live in California, and was "caught" shoplifting, and even though I didn't do it on purpose, and offered to pay for it, they went ahead and prosecuted. The sherrif didn't book me or anything but he did read me my miranda rights. This is my firt offense, I am a good student. But no one believes that I am innocent of the crime that they are trying to convict me of. I want to know, if my own parents don't believe me, would the courts? Should I plead guilty or fight?

seniorjudge

Since you gave us no facts, no one can tell you how to plead or whether you would win.

However, if you do give us complete details and facts, we can venture some opinions.

lanisillygoose

Again I am from California. I am 19 and a female. I went to a store to get a present for a friend who is moving into a new place. I had the picture (it was large, probably20’25), and I had broken my glasses the day before, and so just kind of on a whim I decided to get some there, I grabbed them and kept walking around the store I had them hooked on my thumb, walked around for a bit, and then went to the check out line after I didn’t find anything else, it was a long line, and so I was standing at the end and the manager said that she would check me out, well I over there and grabbed the wallet, and dropped the sunglasses in the purse in the process. Then bought the picture, and started to walk out and the alarm went off, and I realize then what I had done. I said I was sorry and tried to explain and attempted to pay for them, but they didn’t believe me. They were 16 dollar sunglasses, so it’s a misdemeanor, and the sheriff, while he didn’t book me, did read me my Miranda rights. I understand how it sounds to everyone else, but it was an honest mistake. Like I said, my parents don’t believe me, so what should I do? How should I plead? Do I need a lawyer?

seniorjudge

...I live in California, and was "caught" shoplifting, and even though I didn't do it on purpose, and offered to pay for it, they went ahead and prosecuted....

You intend the natural and probable consequences of your own actions.

...well I over there and grabbed the wallet, and dropped the sunglasses in the purse in the process....

This sounds intentional to me. Let me ask you, what actions would you have taken IF you had intended it? Answer: "...well I over there and grabbed the wallet, and dropped the sunglasses in the purse in the process...."

In other words, by your own admission, you are guilty.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=839424#post839424

standard shoplifting answer

Be prepared for your shoplifting conviction to hinder your job opportunities for the rest of your life.

You need to find a job at a place that hires thieves.

There are thousands of questions similar to yours on this forum.

Stand by; others may have advice also.

CdwJava

Nobody can tell you how you should plead. But you really don't have a defense here. You can accept the help of a public defender or hire an attorney of your own and he might be able to raise some reasonable doubt to a jury ... maybe. Chances are you will get a good plea offer on this if you have no prior offenses.

Talk to your attorney (be he one you hire or one that is appointed).

- Carl

calatty

Don't count on being able to convince a jury that you shoplifted by mistake. Get an attorney. S/he will most likely be able to get you diversion, which means it won't go on your record once you complete a probation program.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">