• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overpayment/ cannot do this anymore

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbmarie

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?PA

I will try to keep this short. Oct.2001 I had a hearing for SSD . I lost my job of 20 years(depression/panik attacks). It was originally stated to be a closed case from June 1999 -June 2001. Nov. 2001 I received notice that my case was ruled favorable. A little over a month later I received a notice that I would be getting monthly benefits. I call the attorney who handled my case. I was told to make sure to notify SS of any changes, health/work.

A few months later (early 2002) I received information about continuation of my benefits. My health was very bad at the time. Later that year I experienced another family tragedy, which nearly destroyed me. With alot of counseling and medication I felt I could try to work again. I worked from July 2003 to Feb. 2004. I started to slip back with my health and left my job.

SS has continued to send me letters/updates at least twice a year. I have informed them of any changes with me whether it was my health or work. I even submitted copies of all of my pays.

I just recently started to feel like I could try work again. Two days ago I received notice that I owe SS over $70,000 for me and around $18,000 for each (2) of my children. How could this be happening? They sent me letters informing me of my benefits. I always responded. I called them imediately and was told that my case was for a closed period of time. I thought that changed after the notice I got following the hearing. Just a few months ago I had to submit another review for continuation of benefits.

I cannot take this or anything anymore. I have nothing left in me to fight. I take four different medications daily just to get where I am. I am a total wreck right now. I know about the waivers, etc., but honestly how could they have made such a huge mistake? This is my life where talking about. I have done everything right and followed all the rules and now this. Please, if there is any advice that can help me, I would appreciate it very much.

BL

First , you call the Toll free number for SSA , and ask if the Notice you received is correct , or Did they send it in Error ?

Secondly , If they State it is correct , request a reconsideration , based on what you have described here , with in the time limits ( usually 30 days ) .

They will send you a Form ( ask them how you can dispute this mess ) and what forms you can file .

If you are again Denied , consult an SSI attorney , with all your Proofs .

The only other thing I can see , is when you worked you made Over the Limit . The Limit now is 830 per month .

If you were making over the Limit for a period of time , then you were NOT eligible and would have been cut Off .

SSA , has on record your work history . They can bring up things , that you have long forgot about .

lbmarie

undefinedThank you for responding.
I called the day I received the letter. It is not a mistake. The mistake was that they continued my benefits when it was for a closed period.

I did not go over the limit with my earnings long enough to make a difference. I sent them copies of my pay because I kept them informed of everything. Ther really is nothing they do not know.

I understand the hearing was for a closed period, but I also received a letter stating I was entitled for monthly benefits. I continued to recieve letters about my benefits on a regular basis. Because I was still disabled at the time of my hearing and then having received the letters from them, I believed that the closed period was granted as well as a continuation.

I know I have problems with concentration, memory, etc., but I have read everything again and again. Everthing states that I was eligible and that my benefits would continue.

I have every letter that was ever sent to me as well as copies of eveything I sent to them. I have an apppointment from three weeks from the notice of overpayment. I will take everything with me and try to do this on my own because I really cannot afford an attorney right now.

I'm very upset right now. The money I received was used for my children and to pay bills and basically live. What do you think will happen? I don't know how I am going to hold it together until my appointment.

BL

I would Strongly recommend at Least a Consult with an SSI attorney .

Owing that much money , when they continued to send you reviews to fill out , and If you did not earn over the limits in those years each month for a few months , should not happen .

In the meantime you should consider Community based services , Warfare ( or non welfare food stamps ) , Red Cross , Salvation Army , Etc ., to help with your living expenses .

lbmarie

undefinedThank you again. As far as Comunity Services,, I really don't think that is an option. I am married and my husband does work.

When all of this originally happened I was the main provider for our family. My husband was starting a new career ( the company he did work for was sold and then closed ). We then acquired a lot of debt due to the loss of his income and the investment into his new job. When I lost my job the debt continued to grow. My husband then got a second job at night.

Over the past few years my husband's income improved. His job is commission not salary. When he has a good month we pay down the debt as much as possible. We have not saved anything because we put anything extra towards the bills. We have managed to keep our home and know we have another eight years before everything is paid off.

On a more positive note, I received a call today for a part time job making $7 an hour. I know it's not much, but it's a start especially if I can keep this job.

I will call tomorrow to see how much a consultation will be. I have to find a new attorney because I don't feel comfortable with the one I originally used. I question now why they didn't say anything when I called them to let them know my benefits were going to continue. Maybe they thought the same as I did. Do you happen to know of any other situation where this has happened (a closed period and then a continuation)?

BL

lbmarie said:
undefinedThank you again. As far as Comunity Services,, I really don't think that is an option. I am married and my husband does work.

When all of this originally happened I was the main provider for our family. My husband was starting a new career ( the company he did work for was sold and then closed ). We then acquired a lot of debt due to the loss of his income and the investment into his new job. When I lost my job the debt continued to grow. My husband then got a second job at night.

Over the past few years my husband's income improved. His job is commission not salary. When he has a good month we pay down the debt as much as possible. We have not saved anything because we put anything extra towards the bills. We have managed to keep our home and know we have another eight years before everything is paid off.

On a more positive note, I received a call today for a part time job making $7 an hour. I know it's not much, but it's a start especially if I can keep this job.

I will call tomorrow to see how much a consultation will be. I have to find a new attorney because I don't feel comfortable with the one I originally used. I question now why they didn't say anything when I called them to let them know my benefits were going to continue. Maybe they thought the same as I did. Do you happen to know of any other situation where this has happened (a closed period and then a continuation)?
Personally , no I do not know , but I have seen where SSA sends out notices of denials , Etc . in Error . That's why it's important to call them to verify any documents you receive that do not coincide with what was told you or send you before .

clarkw

overpayment/can't do this anymore

lbmarie said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state?PA

I will try to keep this short. Oct.2001 I had a hearing for SSD . I lost my job of 20 years(depression/panik attacks). It was originally stated to be a closed case from June 1999 -June 2001. Nov. 2001 I received notice that my case was ruled favorable. A little over a month later I received a notice that I would be getting monthly benefits. I call the attorney who handled my case. I was told to make sure to notify SS of any changes, health/work.

A few months later (early 2002) I received information about continuation of my benefits. My health was very bad at the time. Later that year I experienced another family tragedy, which nearly destroyed me. With alot of counseling and medication I felt I could try to work again. I worked from July 2003 to Feb. 2004. I started to slip back with my health and left my job.

SS has continued to send me letters/updates at least twice a year. I have informed them of any changes with me whether it was my health or work. I even submitted copies of all of my pays.

I just recently started to feel like I could try work again. Two days ago I received notice that I owe SS over $70,000 for me and around $18,000 for each (2) of my children. How could this be happening? They sent me letters informing me of my benefits. I always responded. I called them imediately and was told that my case was for a closed period of time. I thought that changed after the notice I got following the hearing. Just a few months ago I had to submit another review for continuation of benefits.

I cannot take this or anything anymore. I have nothing left in me to fight. I take four different medications daily just to get where I am. I am a total wreck right now. I know about the waivers, etc., but honestly how could they have made such a huge mistake? This is my life where talking about. I have done everything right and followed all the rules and now this. Please, if there is any advice that can help me, I would appreciate it very much.

Maybe this will help you with your problem.
Pennsylvania Protection and Advocacy Inc., 1414 N. Cameron Street, 2nd floor, Harrisburg PA., 17103>>> Mr. David Lerch. [800-692-7443 ext 309]

lbmarie

undefinedBlonde Lebinese, Thank you and I understand your point to call when I receive documents that are different. That is why when I received the letter stating I was eligible for monthly benefits, I called the attorney who handled my case. I did everything through the attorney. I was in no condition to try to understand any of this.

Because I was told to keep SS informed of my situation/condition, I believed everything was as it was suppose to be. Then I kept getting letters and notices of continuation from SS. I was always getting something, even the forms for re-evaluation of my diabilty. There was absolutely nothing that would have made made me think I shouldn't be getting monthly benefits.

Do you think having all of the letters I could prove that I was not at fault? I still have two more weeks before my appointment to get as much help with this as possible.

lbmarie

PA
When I called SS last week (Saturday) they told me my August benefit was deposited. Monday I recieved a letter stating they intercepted my daughters check electronically. This letter was dated before the actual letter of overpayment.

I called today to see if they could deposit my daughters check because originally they told me I was getting it so I paid my bills, and now I don't have the money to cover them. The girl said she would check, something about hardship, she put me on hold and we got disconnected.

I called back. It was a different person. I explianed tings and about the waiver and benefits can continue. She looked into my record and now I'm told that I am no longer disabled. I asked why wasn't I notified. She said they sent me a letter in May. I never received one. She said it must have got lost in the mail.

April 13, 2005 I was reviewed for continuation. Everything was filled out and returned. June 1, 2005 I received a letter stating they raised my daughters benefits beginning June 2005.

None of this makes sense. Something is very wrong. Suddenly they said my benefits stopped and because of that they can not continue even with a waiver. Please help me with this. Thank you.

Last edited:

BL

Not a waiver , a reconsideration . Yes sometimes mail does get " Lost in space " . Ask them for both forms to fill out a Waiver and reconsideration .

Now you have brought 2 peoples SS benifits into play .

My suggestion is to take all your paperwork to an SSI attorney for a consult .

Last edited:

lbmarie

Thank you. I will make sure to do both. What did you mean when you said now I brought 2 peoples SS into play? I did say in my first post about the overpayment for myself and my children. My children are not disabled. They received benefits under me. I want to make sure there isn't something else I need to do since they took back the payment for my daughter.

zippysgoddess

There appears to be problems with SSI and SSDI in PA recently.

We had a similar problem, my husband was disabled, and receiving SSDI while going to college through the Office of Vocational Rehab. This month, our check was not deposited, we called to find out why and they could not tell us!! I called 3 different offices, then the next day we got letters in the mail saying we had an overpayment of over $7,000 due to his wages from income/earnings being over the limit.

He has not worked in years, since well before he was approved for SSDI, because he ended up in the hospital, suicidal.

Call an attorney, or disability advocate, go to the site www.ssa.gov, print and fill out every form you can find that pertains to your situation, and mail them in. Also don't be afraid to contact your local Representative or Senator regarding the matter. I spent 5 hours the other day writing letters, and filling out forms, and that does not include the phone calls I made.

Good luck!

lbmarie

Thank you zippysgoddess. I really need all the support I can find right now. I had an appointment with my therapist last night, that helped a little. All of this has just made it more difficult to handle my depresson and anxiety. I have been in touch with a PA Advocate. I am waiting for a return call. It will be two weeks Saturday that I requested the waiver form from SS. I called twice and still have not received one. My appointment is this week. I have no idea what to expect. What I do know for a fact is they do not tell the truth. They keep changing their story with me when I call. Thanks again.

zippysgoddess

Yes, we have been getting the same BS, stories change, or no one claims to know why my DH's benefits were discontinued.

You do not have to wait for them to send the Waiver forms though, you can print them yourself from the site and send them to the address of your local office!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">