• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charge Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kenny1021

What is the name of your state? Utah

Must appologize in advanced for current lack of info.

Problem: An old apartment complex is claiming that I owe them almost 800 dollars. I do not yet know why, but I am assuming that it is because of last month of rent plus late fees. If that is the case, then the last month of rent should be covered due to the security deposit and the fact that I paid last months rent before moving in. The first time I was notified that I owed the money is today (six months after vacating the apartments) by a collection agency. They are going to send the documents showing that I owe the money. I do not have records showing that I paid first and last month's rent prior to moving in, and I do not trust this apartment complex to provide accurate records. The collection agency said it would take approximately 2 weeks to recieve the documentation, and that I have 1 month from today to pay the balance in full.

Question 1: Is there any way that I can legally force them to move the deadline of payment since I am just now being informed of the balance, and need time to review it and my records in order to dispute the charge?

Question 2: Can the apartment complex send the account to a collection agency without ever informing us of a balance, and furthermore, are any late fees valid due to the fact that they did not notify us.

Question 3: Being that I paid the security deposit (equal to one month's rent) and have no reason to believe that they would need to use that for any damages incurred, would that not also go toward's any unpaid balances?

Thank you for any help given.

TigerD

Kenny1021 said:
Question 1: Is there any way that I can legally force them to move the deadline of payment since I am just now being informed of the balance, and need time to review it and my records in order to dispute the charge?
No.

Kenny1021 said:
Question 2: Can the apartment complex send the account to a collection agency without ever informing us of a balance, and furthermore, are any late fees valid due to the fact that they did not notify us.
Yes. They will undoubtably claim that you failed to provide them with a forwarding address and mail was returned.

Kenny1021 said:
Question 3: Being that I paid the security deposit (equal to one month's rent) and have no reason to believe that they would need to use that for any damages incurred, would that not also go toward's any unpaid balances?
Security deposits are applicable as last months rent. The complex would first apply your deposit to the things it is supposed to be applied to for repairs and cleaning and such. Then any remaining balance would be applied to you outstanding rent balance.

You may want to reask you question on the landlord and rental section of this site.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">