• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does daughter need her own attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vandhmommy

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?ca

Daughter will turn 18 on Oct 28 2005. Ex and I have joint legal custddy..with physical custody to him. I have supervised visitation 2x a week at my mothers house. Visitation is supervised because of an old order(1998) to show attendance at AA meetings that i couldn't provide at the time. Never bothered to have order changed, was easier for all involved . Now father has passed away suddenly last week. Child now living with step mom and half brother. My question is this: Do I now automatically have sole custody? And is the supervised visitation still in effect? Does she need an attorney at the reading of the will? Step mother trying to keep her away from me and my family. How do I find out if her father provided for her in the will?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

vandhmommy said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state?ca

Daughter will turn 18 on Oct 28 2005. Ex and I have joint legal custddy..with physical custody to him. I have supervised visitation 2x a week at my mothers house. Visitation is supervised because of an old order(1998) to show attendance at AA meetings that i couldn't provide at the time. Never bothered to have order changed, was easier for all involved . Now father has passed away suddenly last week. Child now living with step mom and half brother. My question is this: Do I now automatically have sole custody? And is the supervised visitation still in effect? Does she need an attorney at the reading of the will? Step mother trying to keep her away from me and my family. How do I find out if her father provided for her in the will?
My response:

You cannot have custody until such time as you've completed your court-ordered attendance at AA. But, it's a little too late now. In just a few weeks she'll be 18, and legally emancipated from the court ordered requirements of "visitation" and "custody." She'll be able to choose, all on her own, where she wants to live, and whom she wants to see.

And, she may not want to see you.

Your daughter can file a Petition for Probate, if she wants to.

IAAL

vandhmommy

:confused: what is a petition for probate? When does she file that? Who has custody of her until she's 18? What legal right do I have to see her now? Still on appointed days or when I can in addition to those?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">