• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it possible to adopt my own son?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michelle Bowen

Washington state. I had a dependency case in wich my parental rights were terminated. That was about 2 yrs ago. It was about 2 months after termination I got sober. It was at that time I found out my rights were terminated. My lawyer said there was nothing I could do I believed her but now I don't I believe there is something I could have done.I have attended and completed a treatment program and a parenting class. I need to know if ther is anything I can do. Please help me if you can!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Michelle Bowen said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Washington

My rights as a parent have been taken away. Can I adopt my son?

**A: no you can't since the court already adjudicated TPR.

britly

In most states, you would not be approved to be an adoptive parent because you have had a court find you to be an unfit parent (part of the termination of parental rights process). In order to adopt a child, you would need to pass a background check and your history w/TPR would preclude you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">